Share | 

Discussion: The Outlands Corrupted

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Not the Critic
Head Librarian & Game Master

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: The Outlands Corrupted   Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:48 pm

Ah, I was confused by the two storms, apologies.

Well, I think I'm waiting for Arty to post, before we can look into this blizzard business. In the meantime, I may have to consider creating a new character, someone to bounce around some of the other Fortresses.

Any ideas?

Last edited by The Spectral Mask on Sun May 19, 2013 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://codrexmagna.forumotion.com/
Biomancer
Mysterious Figure

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: The Outlands Corrupted   Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:56 pm

No need to apologize at all, as two concurrent mysterious storms could've been related - I don't know that I made it clear enough in the first place. :P

I think we're all waiting for him to post... But if you want ideas for a character to move between other fortresses, I can give you some, but in the end it might have to be more of your creativity within boundaries rather than the boundaries themselves.

Of course, I can't be suggesting personality and appearance for your character. :P Of the current fortress starting points, Z1NE B and Deltán are fairly exciting places to be at the moment - so is Yabe, but I really have no idea what's going to happen there. If you can't decide between the current choices (or if you're not satisfied with any!), then I'd say wait 'til December or January (I think) to see some earth-shattering revelations that bring other fortress choices with them. I might put up some more choices sooner than then, but I don't have my file with me and I'll have to check which ones are fleshed-out enough to work with.

I don't know if that's the kind of idea you were asking about, but then the whole point of replying to you is to see what you have to say. :P

-|W|G|-

Not the Critic

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: The Outlands Corrupted   Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:30 pm

Hm, I'm leaning towards Deltán, in that case.

But I think I'll wait for the time being and give everyone a chance to change the scenery.

Speaking of which, you say something Earth-Shattering cometh?

It'd better not be the Core War. :P [/what?ABIONICLEreferenceonaLEGOandBIONICLEforum?unheardof!]

Last edited by The Spectral Mask on Sun May 19, 2013 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Biomancer
Mysterious Figure

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: The Outlands Corrupted   Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:11 am

Okay then, I'll see about getting some other minor forum choices up, and of course the important upcoming posts.

And no, it isn't the Core War, because that wouldn't be earth-shattering...

... it'd be SPHERUS-MAGNA-SHATTERING.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!

-|W|G|-

Not the Critic

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: The Outlands Corrupted   Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:19 pm

Oh sprinkles, I'm in a tube. Grim-Faced

I'll be honest, tubes are some of my least favorite places to be. Along with unnecessarily complex chain webs and trash compactors.

It's really no fun at all. :P

Last edited by The Spectral Mask on Sun May 19, 2013 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Biomancer
Mysterious Figure

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: The Outlands Corrupted   Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:21 pm

A tube is bad, but still better than where I am. :P

-|W|G|-

Not the Critic

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: The Outlands Corrupted   Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:16 am

I just came up with the name "Pseudomancer", and whatever that would be like, it'd be pretty awesome.

Can we make that an NPC or something?

Back to top Go down
Biomancer
Mysterious Figure

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: The Outlands Corrupted   Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:40 am

Hey, that's actually pretty cool. I have some ideas for uses for this Pseudomancer... I think I'll put a blank NPC profile in for this mysterious figure as a placeholder, until we find out what they're all about. :P

-|W|G|-

Biomancer
Mysterious Figure

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: The Outlands Corrupted   Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:56 pm

Finally a post for the Cold Mage. :P

Since this isn't an epic I'm not going to do a full review of your post, Arty, but I feel obliged to point out a couple of minor things.

As a PERSON WITH BIOLOGY UNDER THE BELT, it looks to me like you're trying to give a scientific name, and if it is it should be Niveanix culmus (I'm not sure it is meant to be a scientific name though, you'll have to clarify).

The Cryomancer may be able to slow atoms, but he can't slow time. In fact, his lifespan extension is cold-related and not time-related. Slowing the cat would require more than his abilities - it would require him to fix the position of the air molecules, whereas he can only cool them to a standstill. The difference is that even though he's stopping the air molecules, the cat can change their momentum by bumping into them, so that wouldn't work. (Of course, he doesn't have to know that himself, but that's why he couldn't stop the cat that way.)

When I said a couple of things, I meant it - that was 2. :P

Anyway, looks like things might be able to pick up in Chanvale now! And we currently have 6 fortresses in play, so maybe the entire world will get going...

-|W|G|-

Cryomancer
The Cold Mage

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: The Outlands Corrupted   Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:20 pm

yes chanvale woo

As for the sciencyness name you can just blame that on Cryo's lack of knowledge about it.

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: The Outlands Corrupted   Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:30 pm

Well, the issue of stopping time is more of a minor detail - he's essentially slowing down all of the particles in the surrounding area, so slowing time is one way of describing it - but it might be worth changing, just because this is basically the first time Cryo has appeared in a larger context - we may want to better establish how his powers work.

And the binomial nomenclature? I'm tempted to go and switch it now...

I dunno. I don't feel like this should be such an Act of Congress, but I'll leave it up to Arty.

Back to top Go down
Biomancer
Mysterious Figure

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: The Outlands Corrupted   Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:16 am

Problem is, time is a property of the universe, not of matter. The Cryomancer (I LIKE "THE" :P) can only slow down particles locally, as well, so certainly nothing actually experiences time slowing down. Think of it this way: You can feel when you're walking through molasses, and you know you're going slower. I'm pretty sure that if time slowed down for you, you would experience it like everything around you speeding up. (I'm not the end expert on this stuff though, ask a physicist.) It is important to know exactly how Cryo's powers work though, since this is the first time we (barely) see him using them.

I would've made some comment about "maybe the way it is in Arty's post is the way it's said in the Outlands World", but I've already established elsewhere that the binomial species nomenclature is valid there too. :P So I'd say to change it, but it can always be left if it's more an artifact of Cryo's thought process than a fact being mentioned.

-|W|G|-

Not the Critic

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: The Outlands Corrupted   Sun May 19, 2013 6:09 pm

Pseudomancer has arrived! But what is his deal!?

I'll need to refresh my memory on NPC creation, but I'd be happy to fill out a character sheet for him, if want be.

Biomancer
Mysterious Figure

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: The Outlands Corrupted   Sun May 19, 2013 10:52 pm

If you are indeed creating him as an NPC that others (probably mainly me) might eventually use, then you can either post his character sheet here or PM me it if you have lingering questions on him, himself.

A couple of notes as well:

Z1NE B is two words. Also, even though it(/the Triple Fortress) faces the Psarakam Desert, it lies just south of the southernmost slopes of the Hapori Range - that being mountains, so much taller than it.

Given my previous noted time at Z1NE B of "13 PD", it can be assumed that there are at least 28 hours in the Outlands day (since 13 isn't the divisor itself). But I'll skip prodding at y'all to figure out the clues I left and give you a complete guide (in brief) to Outlands times.

There are 30 hours in one Outlands day. The divisor of the day is 15:00; it's never referred to as "noon". Times before and after the divisor are labeled, very simply, "Preceding Divisor" and "Following Divisor", or PD and FD respectively.

There are 30 days in one regular Outlands month. There are 14 of these months in a regular Outlands year; they do not share exact names with months on our world, and you've seen some of their Outlands names in the General's journal.

There are leap years, but I haven't yet determined their period. Other than all that, smaller units of time (seconds, minutes, and hours) follow what we'd see as the normal pattern.

Note that day length and month length were dropped as previous clues in one form or another. One would've had to do some math to get day length, though (whether or not you're interested, you can get it from Part the Tenth of the Tale).

It may not be likely that the guard on duty during Pseudomancer's arrival is Markus. Since Markus was present at 21 FD, when Lord Saturn arrived, he would've had to stick around for 9 more hours to be present when Pseudomancer arrived. It's possible that it's still him, though, and we'll have to see next post...

-|W|G|-

Not the Critic

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: The Outlands Corrupted   Mon May 20, 2013 12:06 am

Hm... I'm leaning towards keeping him as a PC, for the time being. Do I have the option of donating him to the NPC bin after I've developed him a bit? That seems better than realizing I want him to myself after offering him as an NPC, and in the meantime, I feel quite on the fence about the whole thing.

I'll get to work on his character sheet, meanwhile.

Biomancer
Mysterious Figure

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: The Outlands Corrupted   Mon May 20, 2013 12:20 am

Actually, the idea of sort of "donating" him as an NPC makes sense to me. Seems like a good idea to be available to anyone who wishes to control a major character for a time after their creation.

I await character sheet and development then, though. :P

-|W|G|-

Not the Critic

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: The Outlands Corrupted   Tue May 21, 2013 9:50 pm

Name: Pseudomancer

Gender/Age: Male

Fortress: Z1NE B

Appearance: Wears a brown trench coat and fedora, and keeps his brown hair long. It doesn’t work on him; his hair looks obviously dyed, even if it’s only a few shades off from his natural color, and blatantly out of place on top of his angled face and dark skin tone. His noise is large and pointed, his overall appearance, quite ugly.

Personality: Usually quiet, when the Pseudomancer does speak, he often attempts to take charge of situations and talks down to those around him. His jokes are almost funny, and his charisma almost domineering, but not quite. He acts like an eccentric but cunning mage, and while he is eccentric and cunning, he is neither a true mage, nor a good actor. He quite likely suffers from delusions of grandeur.

Weapons/Tools: Pseudomancer has a wealth of odd things in his coat, including all of his material possessions, and a few materials he really shouldn’t possess. Whether his disregard for luggage means he travels light or heavy is a matter of opinion. That said, he carries no weapons, in the usual sense, preferring deception to violence.

Background/History: Despite his moniker, the Pseudomancer has no affiliation with the Mancers, and for the time being, knowledge of his existence hasn’t reached the Biomancer at all. Whether he has some natural ability or exploitive method of avoiding their powers of detection, or if he has just managed to muster enough subtlety to escape notice, is unknown. He is able to fake his status well enough to garner some degree of respect and authority during his low-key operations in different Fortresses, but if the Mancers ever discover his subterfuge, discredit will be the least of his problems. Pseudomancer has clumsily referenced a higher authority of which he is only an employee, but it is possible that these were intentional on his behalf, perhaps meant to imply that he is under Biomancer’s orders. If one happens to know the full roster of mages, and very few do, they could see no evidence that he is anything but a free agent. The specifics of his agenda remain unknown, but he is clearly attempting to sabotage the defenses of the Fortresses, while avoiding detection.

Any inconsistencies, or major complaints?

It's a bit vague, I know, but, to be honest, I only have a very vague idea of what his deal is, either. In my defense, I'm not certain what forces are at work in this story, and I'm just hoping that I can intertwine him with the conflict in Z1NE B as it becomes developed. But maybe it's time for some broader strokes, I'm not sure. Shrug

I highly doubt that I will designate any powers to him, just to be clear, although I've quite blatantly left that window open, if we get desperate. The Pseudo- of his name refers to the fact that he isn't a Mancer, not that he has control over falsehood - but if he did, he would becomes far more powerful than he is now.

Biomancer
Mysterious Figure

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: The Outlands Corrupted   Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:15 pm

Well if this isn't the slowest still-running RPG, I don't know what is. Luckily we've had a couple of things happen this year, but literally every female and non-Mage-ish character is stalled, and in most of the fortresses things have yet to properly pick up.

I'm still messing with a post for Xexan, and I think there's a post in the works for (*gasp*) Veritamancer, but other than that I don't even know what's going on. And if I don't, I don't know that anyone does. Glare

Sooo, I think I'm either going to have to introduce more characters, or have the blizzard arrive in Chanvale, or land a Composite God somewhere. Any thoughts, guys, or (even more hopefully) any posts in the works?

-|W|G|-

Not the Critic

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: The Outlands Corrupted   Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:53 pm

More characters will only slow the narrative. The existing characters clearly need to take action, but thus far, all seem primed to respond, rather than initiate.

I am happy to continue Pseudo's spirit quest if he can be introduced to Markus. The two of them can go on their merry way, with Saturn doing whatever it is he does, Markus collaborating with him (if I understand the implications of that post correctly), and Pseudo happy to lend a helping hand if it hurts BZP. Or a harming hand, if it would help BZP.

Alternatively, sure, the blizzard could arrive in Chanvale. I imagine Cryo and Venti would throw together preparations for the storm and for a Guilder attack, and so either or both would be interesting.

Biomancer
Mysterious Figure

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: The Outlands Corrupted   Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:39 pm

The problem is, nearly every character is a citizen or a Mage, and both are kind of deadlocked by definition (citizens go about their business but usually in-fortress, Mancers are of course dedicated to fortresses' survival). The tendency to respond rather than initiate is probably partly my fault though, that tends to happen with my characters. :P

Though I don't have a post planned out fully, I've decided by now that the guard on the wall for Pseudo's arrival is not Markus. Markus himself, of course, is going to be summoned anyway, because he usually has an idea of what to do in cases like this, and we'll have to see how he responds to Pseudo...

And yeah, the blizzard will have to arrive in Chanvale sometime, I've just been reluctant to bring it in so far because of the three stalled female PCs in that fortress. If I can actually think of what Haruhi would do next, I'm sure I can ask Starry to do a brief post for Magda (right Starry? :P). But I'm think I'm going to have to remind Scarey Bear that TOC even exists before we see anything from her.

In other news, I've been starting on the next Tale Part as well as my first real one-off, non-Internet-related Outlands World flash fiction, so hopefully I'll stop being distracted by those at some point and get posts finished to move Markus, Haruhi, and Exy ahead (I don't think it's wise to start caring about Darralessus or Exeter & Azout quite yet). :P

-|W|G|-

Biomancer
Mysterious Figure

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: The Outlands Corrupted   Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:04 pm

Thank you for posting, Spectral.  Thank you.

I'll probably soon reply, but I want to quickly note that in "Pseudomancer", E comes before U.

-|W|G|-

Not the Critic

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: The Outlands Corrupted   Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:11 pm

All instances of "psuedo" corrected. :P

I'm sure I could talk Arty into collaborating on a Chanvale post for Christmas. Pseudomancer, however, I can tap out in a few minutes, as I plan to do.

I'll see about getting Irae's attention as well.

Biomancer
Mysterious Figure

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: The Outlands Corrupted   Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:07 pm

OH YEAH CRYOMANCER.

Am I seeing where this volunteer-need is going, or is there going to be a new character introduced?  :P

Anyway I'd better get my TOC on, even though I don't know what to do!  Perhaps I can coax out a post for... the Truth Mage?

-|W|G|-

Not the Critic

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: The Outlands Corrupted   Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:13 pm

Ooh, the Verita...

But yes, I'm hoping to drag Haruhi out with me, Doctor Who-style. But that's largely up to you.

Biomancer
Mysterious Figure

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: The Outlands Corrupted   Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:22 pm

I think Haruhi is going to be more than ready to serve in the name of Chanvale.  She's the defiant, cooped-up youngster of the NPCs, after all.  So enlist away - it seems logical enough.

Hopefully this month will end up being productive after all, haha.

-|W|G|-

Cryomancer
The Cold Mage

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: The Outlands Corrupted   Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:32 pm

I'm not sure we can handle the truth, Wally.
In all seriousness, though, go ahead! We oughta bring a little more life to this place for the Holiday season!

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: The Outlands Corrupted   Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:06 pm

Haha, I loved Veritamancer's neuropainting "deafness." The second Composite God we've encountered did not fail to disappoint impress.

The Mages of Chanvale had better get their act together and find whoever's working with the Guilders.

Oh, by the way, this isn't the same as either of the other two storms currently raging in the Outlands, is it? :P

Last edited by The Spectral Mask on Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Biomancer
Mysterious Figure

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: The Outlands Corrupted   Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:13 pm

... they didn't fail to disappoint?  They were that bad?  >_>

And no, this is definitely not the same as either of the other storms.  :P  The first is the blizzard, of unknown cause, heading towards Chanvale.  The second is Darkness preparing to strike the West Coast and Yabe.  This one is a violent thunderstorm of E Carata's making, which has evaporated.

-|W|G|-

Not the Critic

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: The Outlands Corrupted   Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:07 pm

My apologies for the improper idiom use... Sigh

My, my, the Sunder Gods sure cause a lot of storms. I'm not sure if the Ventimancer should be pleased or concerned. :P

Cryomancer
The Cold Mage

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: The Outlands Corrupted   Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:11 pm

Oh, the weather outside is frightful, but the fire inside the glorious fortress of Chanvale is so delightful (besides the rampant Guilder attacks and feral wintery animals)...

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: The Outlands Corrupted   Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:29 pm

Ah yes, the delightful giant felid attacks.  Sic vita est.

I think Ventimancer will have plenty on his hands with one blizzardy storm.  :P  Somehow, the other storms will have to be dealt with differently... Though apparently Veritamancer stopped this third storm by negotiating with E Carata?

Anyway, FORTH THE MANCERS

-|W|G|-

Cryomancer
The Cold Mage

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: The Outlands Corrupted   Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:25 am

I did want to mention how much I like that we get to see a portion of the Composite Gods, one by one... one of my favorite aspects of this, probably.

E Carata is a cool name.

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: The Outlands Corrupted   Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:32 am

Thank you.  :D  I actually enjoy it a lot, too - even I don't know who the gods are until they appear, and only the voted-for 2 are planned.

As for the name, I accept that compliment on behalf of everyone's favorite sapient mosasaur.

-|W|G|-

Not the Critic

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: The Outlands Corrupted   Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:20 pm

I can't stop cursing myself for not remembering his name! Goodness, he's the coolest character in this RPG already. Any word on which fortress he's headed towards? I'd love for Psuedo to have something to do. His primary function is to wait for something to try and happen and take advantage of it. He doesn't really try to make things happen and then wait to be taken advantage of, as perfect as a character like that would have been for an RPG like this.

Biomancer
Mysterious Figure

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: The Outlands Corrupted   Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:48 pm

What, the new god? I don't blame you for not remembering the preliminary name I gave him. :P At this point I'm not really sure he has a name, though. We'll get to that later.

I'm honestly not sure where he is exactly, so I'm not sure of where he's heading. I'd like to straighten out the geography of the Outlands World and get the climates arranged better (and more realistically), but with my current knowledge, I'd guess that this god is at the mouth of the Valley that separates Tohu's Spine from the Icy Mountains.

My guess is that Pseudo will need to contend more with Lord Saturn, though. :P And speaking of that, I should work with you on Markus and Pseudo's situation... I think Markus asked the last question.

-|W|G|-

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: The Outlands Corrupted   

Back to top Go down

Discussion: The Outlands Corrupted
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2