Share | 

Break: Review

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Lignar
Mysterious Figure

PostSubject: Re: Break: Review   Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:10 am

Thank you! I'm glad I've kept the feeling of continuity with Arty's portrayal so far. :P

But I'll say it again, that kind of deviously placed mayhem only characterizes the Preservation's early work. Notice that so far in Proculvisus, even if you include "Blueshift", there are zero living people outside the Preservation who explicitly know that the Preservation exists. Morgan Dionen doesn't mention the Preservation in dialogue, Harvey Kecke has no dialogue, "Palacio dos Azulejos" doesn't contain any references to the Preservation, and of course we know about Atin Wells and Nyx Maderan.

The thing is, the early Preservation is a fragile thing, overshadowed by Vice Versa. (ViVe really needs more stories of its own, but then again we know it's the one that mostly dies out.) Until the events of "Walker" (coming later), the Preservation needs to play from behind the scenes, misleading people when necessary. I should've done a ViVe-centric story to make that clear first, but now you know. I'll try to show what I mean when I attempt a sequel to "Blueshift".

In reality, and fittingly, the Preservation evolves with time. You can see the connections between slick frontman Baza and the conniving of Wells and Kecke's era, but we'll explore what the Preservation really means behind the scenes, at least as we move along.

On "Blueshift" itself, thank you again. I tried to have Atin Wells open up in his final minutes, to show what he must have seemed like to Nyx and been like in life, and if it seemed real then I succeeded. I appreciate that you're commenting on the thing I worked the hardest on, and it's the best compliment I could think of getting for "Blueshift". :D

-|W|G|-

Back to top Go down
http://codrexmagna.forumotion.com
Cryomancer
The Cold Mage

PostSubject: Re: Break: Review   Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:39 pm

That was absolutely gorgeous, Wally!
I'm glad that you're highlighting some of the more important figures as well as more Preservation operatives, but also filling in pieces of how Vice Versa and Preservation formed....

And visiting Hong Kong is also great! Yeah, this piece is pretty wonderful for not just Proculvisus, but your general submissions of writing.

PostSubject: Re: Break: Review   Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:55 pm

Now I have validation! MISSION ACCOMPLISHEDThank you so much. :D

Now I just have to keep it going...

-|W|G|-

Back to top Go down
The Spectral Mask
Head Librarian & Game Master

PostSubject: Re: Break: Review   Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:02 pm

In your blog you apologized for your titles, but I actually like these much better than the vagueness of titles like "Torchbearer." My favorite title is still "Upon Newton's Ocean," but I like this etymological approach to titling a good deal. It helps to be a word geek like I am. :P

"Paleolazarus" is a great title and Chiromalkes is a great name. I have a terrible time trying to name dragons for D&D. For some reason I can't figure out (it's not Beowulf or Tolkein, so what is it?) D&D dragons tend to have elaborate three- or four-syllable names. I don't know if that was your intent, or if you and the D&D team are referencing the same, older source, but Chiromalkes, Maukhreig, and Uilhith are all on the mark, a pleasure even to type. Anyone who skips over those names, reading only the first letter or however one goes about shorthanding fantasy names, is missing out on a fine layer of craftsmanship. Chiromalkes sounds noble, spiny, sharp-scaled and sharp-witted. Maukhreig sounds earthy, ancient, strong and mighty. Uilhith I would guess is a female, and I was tempted to write "Uilhilith" while I copied these from my next tab over; she sounds either aquatic or subterranean, long and serpentine, deceitful and deadly. I could have told you that any of these were dragons before so much as a mention of wings. Perhaps your best-named characters yet, Wally. Spectral

The story itself is brief, more of a character study of the dragon than any substantive plot. Chiromalkes serves extremely well as a narrator, foreign and draconic, but also easy to comprehend and sympathize with. I've read and watched countless re-imaginings of dragons, but none have so well reconciled a noble, alien mind with the reclusive, prideful nature of Smaug or Beowulf's killer. Much of this hinges on Chiromalkes' confusion and frustration after realizing how long he's been asleep, which is a mark of your ingenuity and insight. There are many fine lines here, such as the boarder between intriguingly complex and pretentiously quirky, but Chiromalkes' voice slides on these lines with grace and majesty. He and Gutenburg are my favorite characters in this, the Tale, and any of your RPGs, and the Fragmentation is my favorite setting. I eagerly await part three.

I think that you meant to imply in your blog that I would hate "Mnemosynean Hikikomori," but I find it leagues more interesting and engaging than "Silver Bullet" or "The Sheriff and the Seraphim." I'm not sure exactly what to make of it. My first theory was that it's metafictional personification of the creative process, especially after statements like viewing Ex as a personal antagonist. My second, which I think fits more closely with the beginning but not very well with the middle and end, is that you started with the idea "Why aren't my characters writing themselves? Do they have amnesia, or do they just have writer's block like I do?" or something along those lines. But if that were the case, why make Jens a cash-in fantasy-world historian instead of the protagonist? And why does he need to know if he has any enemies if he's not the main character? Bonus points for, probably accidentally, naming Jens after my favorite Galidor character. Unlike many metafictional authors, he was charming because of his childlike disorientation, rather than unbearably arrogant.

Well, it's thought provoking, even if nothing happened. I don't know how much my input influences you, but I'd recommend a more action-oriented story next, rather than more navel-contemplating character-studies. It's been a while since I've seen you write anything like "Torchbearer," "Corrupture," "Quake Raven," or even "The Sheriff and the Seraphim," and for my entertainment as well as your own sake I think it's time to write with the plot in the driver's seat. Giving the characters some room to naturally reveal themselves is well and good, but if you put the petal to the metal and write with a plan, odds are you'll write more, faster, and that's it's own reward.

As an aside, I'm participating (and far behind, but oh, well) in NaNoWriMo this year. You've inspired me to start posting my chapters in their own thread, starting today, not so much because I'm seeking feedback on them, but because I want to demonstrate my support for your own writing endeavors. Whatever we do with our respective lives, writing is therapeutic, not obligatory. And Codrex Magna can serve and has in the past served as a small but helpful support group.

Back to top Go down
http://codrexmagna.forumotion.com/
Lignar
Mysterious Figure

PostSubject: Re: Break: Review   Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:47 pm

I'm glad you like them at all, let alone this much. :P I wrote both of these stories on my phone while on an airplane and only returned to finish them (barely - I didn't change "Paleolazarus" at all) a few days ago. They were very spur-of-the-moment, driven by my sudden invention of their protagonists' names.

On the subject of names, I'm always amazed that you like the crazy names I put out. I don't draw from a source like wherever D&D might, and just free-form from a handful of aesthetic phonetic guidelines I've learned from myself. Now I regret deleting the names of two other dragons I'd originally planned on mentioning - you might've liked those too, but they're lost in memory now.

Even more amazing is the fact that you think Chiromalkes fits so well as a voice and protagonist. I'm more than flattered that you put him in your favorites among my characters. :P I've actually been working on a third installment in the Kingdom of the Stone Book for a while now, and I hope to have it out later today or tomorrow! It's not as exciting and we don't get to see Chiromalkes again yet, but if I finish it the way I want to, it will explain a lot about the kingdom's change of rulership that the Wild Dragon is so stunned by.

But of course the most amazing part is that you're fascinated by "Mnemosynean Hikikomori" (which, by the way, is the most descriptive story name I've ever put out). Jens lacks the arrogance of a lot of metafictionalists, not to mention the certainty, but I thought that would just make him irritating in the opposite way. If you liked him, though, then I guess the confusing aspects of his creative process are a good mystery instead of just further frustrating. Like I implied at the end of the story, we should be hearing from Jens S├Ęde again, even if I don't have an idea of when - so maybe we'll get to know him even better next time.

If I go ahead with the 3rd installment from the world of "Backbone", tentatively titled "Precedence", then you'll have to wait for action until I take on the challenge of shaping one of the 5 other possibilities to follow that. I've just been on a kick of introspection, and despite my rant about lack of inspiration, I still try to wring some related story material out of whatever mood I'm in. Rest assured though, we're going to see some much weirder things and a little bit of action as I move along. I've never been able to write a plot worth anything, so it's still going to be VERY character-driven, but maybe it'll lead somewhere that's more to your satisfaction? :P

Note: when I try to prioritize a plot over characters, that's when you get a result like "The Sheriff and the Seraphim".

I'll try to read what you put up but especially if you're not specifically looking for reviews, then I probably won't have time to say anything about them at least until winter break - I always appreciate you putting up stuff but I feel the time crunch to finish my own work before reviewing yours. :P

EDIT: Oh, and could you spare something said about "Lingering Contusions"? It's not up to the others' standards by a long way, but it might be helpful if you had any thought about it.

-|W|G|-

Back to top Go down
The Spectral Mask

PostSubject: Re: Break: Review   Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:45 am

I take back what I said about action-oriented stories; Precedence is one of your best stories yet! Its rushed ending shows, which I'll address in a minute, but that is overwhelmed by the detail, intrigue, and surrealism of the rest of the story.

There is something beautiful to the way that in stories like this, people are still people, more interested in the Stone King than the trial, behaving just as they do in reality, caring more about a president's chewing gum than his policies. Your New Weird magical-realism talent has been luscious to begin with and has only grown over time.

The passive-aggressive Stone King, the passively conforming Thorn in the jury, the probably properly paranoid Rachis, and the unnecessarily helpful reader are all compelling characters, and they're all playing off of one another delightfully. It's a pleasure to see this many characters, old and new, together, and I'm quickly growing fond of all of them. Rachis in particular used to annoy me, because I favored Gutenburg over her and thought she was pretentious and prideful. Even before the revelation of her history, however, I was growing sympathetic towards her and seeing her point of view, all without losing my fondness for Gutenburg. I see his flaws now, but I still love him, in concept and in execution.

That said, Rachis' little exposition at the end felt rushed, unnecessary, and out of your style. I highly recommend editing it out. I love learning about the World of the Stone Book, but I wish I could unlearn it; I almost feel like the ending has been spoiled for me. I would have preferred if you kept up your normal act of referencing everything magical and foreign matter-of-factly, because it is matter-of-fact to the characters, and leaving us to figure out the rest. In short, not enigmatic enough. :P

My other complaint were the names; Rachis and Gutenburg and even Chiromalkes are easy to remember. Heck, I'll take a stab at the other dragons, each only mentioned once; something like Maukhan and Uhlith, right? Point is, I'd know them if I saw them again. The Thorns? The Witnesses? Did the Judicia and the Reader even have names? They're gone.

Here's the back-and-forth I'd expect us to have, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong:

Spectral: These names are too long and unfamiliar for me to remember.
Wally: It's a trial in the highest court in the land. Of course they use the full, formal names.
Spectral: Alright, it's true that full formal American, or even English, names would be this confusing for someone outside of our culture. But not to us. Rachis and Gutenburg are names used in real life. Why make up names now?
Wally: You'll find that these names come from similar etymological roots as those we've already seen. It's just that you haven't heard their common nicknames yet. Once you do, you'll learn them.
Spectral: Alright, maybe so. But that doesn't change the fact that it would be easier to remember if they were introduced to me initially with those nicknames.
Wally: But that doesn't make sense in this scene, and realism trumps mere reader convenience.
Spectral: I think accessibility it more important than accuracy.
Wally: I disagree, because...

And it would probably go on like that.

Oh, on the subject of reviews, can I ask a favor? I know I just said I'm not desperate for writing reviews, but I plan on having a MOC up by Sunday or Monday, and I could really use your feedback on it as soon as possible. Could you plan on squeezing in a detailed MOC review sometime early next week? Thanks!

Back to top Go down
Lignar
Mysterious Figure

PostSubject: Re: Break: Review   Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:13 am

Rest assured I've left out huge amounts of detail still, but I've gotten to some editing - all of the stuff from the rushed ending is best relegated to another story. :P I have no complaints or excuses for its failure, I just wanted to post the post. I've now seriously truncated it and given it what I hope is a more decisive and in-character terminus. The ghosts of history will be left for another day.

The thing I'll address head-on is the completeness of the names. Well, first, the fact that you can't remember the Reader's (the Judicia was nameless) - would I have called him the Reader throughout if I expected you to remember his name? Everyone is as much a living, breathing person as Rachis or Gutenberg, participating in a real court, and their names have to crop up where you'd need them. I'm not asking you to remember them the way I do, Pserdo and Sobai and so on, but if I called them easy names I would be falsifying matters. All these years I've written low fantasy, with characters named Wally and Mo and Kaze and even Lorenzo; now the one time I write remotely stomachable high(ish) fantasy, do you expect me to call the courtiers Noah or Katie or Fluffles?

Again, I make the important names clear, because they're protagonists (Rachis, Gutenberg, Chiromalkes); I don't expect you to remember the names of people like the Reader, because I introduced him as the Reader, not Vector Sobai. The Court of the Stone Book is the hardest place to learn names, anyway; you might be able to figure out that in normal conversation, the surname is the second name given, but the Court requires the surname be given first. Here as with anywhere, I'm trying my best to pack a textbook's worth of information into a story that's still readable, but I understand if you don't pick up on each nuance - because textbooks are dense and dull if you get caught in every detail. Honestly, I should start making study guides and SparkNotes for my short stories...

Here I feel the need to point out that Gutenberg is an old name, and Rachis not the name of a person. You seem to think they're "real", which I guess is true, but aren't Vector and Innogen real names too, fluently rendered in English? That didn't make it easier for you to remember the names of the Reader and the Thorn, I'm guessing.

All that aside, I'm just pleased you like things from a style standpoint. I couldn't ask for higher praise from you as that's what I feel that I'm constantly striving for - a powerful voice in writing. Distinctive, yeah, I've had that even in my online "speech" forever. But if I can make it work well, I'm happy. Thank you again. :P

On your MOC, for whatever reason I find it vastly easier to review creations in plastic than written stories, so I'll do my best to get on that as soon as you post - shouldn't take more than a day or two for me to respond. I owe you that much anyway for 3 short story reviews this week. :P

-|W|G|-

Back to top Go down
Lignar
Mysterious Figure

PostSubject: Re: Break: Review   Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:28 am

I wanted to get these two out before the Glorious Day of the Number drew to a close, but I may well be editing them. Especially, I'd like to show how it was in the situation just prior to the intro of "Negligible Survivors". I hope any comments you have on them as-is you'll feel free to post, though, before I accidentally ruin them by editing further. :P

-|W|G|-

Back to top Go down
The Spectral Mask

PostSubject: Re: Break: Review   Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:47 pm

So, now we know where Overlord came from! Funny that he would be a botanist, though I suppose, as one of your avatars, that's probably not a coincidence. I wouldn't have guessed that this was his origin story had it not been for the turban, but in retrospect I recognize Kjeld's name from Minifigure Madness. I wonder why he was in the bar at the same time Overlord was... I might be missing something.

SirenCon was entertaining, if a little sad and cynical, but then it has to be. Not as funny as the original Gentlemen's League, but just as profound.

Also, analog clocks are the best. Do you know how hard it was to find a watch with an analog face and all twelve digits? It was hard. Everyone's doing sleek numberless analogs or digital watches these days. Tsk tsk.

Back to top Go down
Lignar
Mysterious Figure

PostSubject: Re: Break: Review   Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:56 pm

If you consult Part the Twenty-Fourth of the Tale from about a year ago, Overlord notes his past as a botanist. :P Ironically, being from a world of death, Iyera and Kjeld are the only characters of mine from dead RPGs who get a new life. The latter's presence in the Roaring Log at the same time as Overlord was presumably a coincidence, since they didn't seem to see each other, but I suppose another question would be why Kjeld is there at all.

Glad you seemed to have enjoyed both stories, though. I suppose they're relatively self-explanatory for anything I've put out.

I actually own an analog pocketwatch in a brassy/bronzey outercase with a floral design. It doesn't work though - it's frozen on the time 1:15.

-|W|G|-

Back to top Go down
The Spectral Mask

PostSubject: Re: Break: Review   Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:27 pm

...Man do I love the Stone Book.

First, some constructive criticism: This chapter seems intended to begin better integrating Stone Book into the 6F System, and while those are, in the words of a late Noughties cereal add, like "peanut butter, chocolate, great when separate / But when combined, they make morning time epic", I don't think you've struck the right balance of lore and story here. That's normally your strength, but while it was a pleasant surprise to have a flashback in what I had assumed to be an ongoing series, and I did not expect to ever see the Heretic and was impressed by the manifestation of Flight, it didn't feel integrated into the narrative. To use a Tolkien analog, there seems to be a little too much Silmarillion in your Lord of the Rings. The 6F System is awesome, and I love learning more about it, but when the characters here in Break start talking about Foundation and Flight it feels like an intrusion.

Then again, maybe this isn't LotR but the Silmarillion... I dunno. I guess wanting an explanation was better than having one has turned out to be. Reading "First Choice" answered more questions than it raised... and from you, that's a disappointment! Where's the incomprehensibility I can't find anywhere else? :P

I should also mention that your use of "they/them" as a gender-neutral pronoun is staring to stir up confusion, and indeed, the entire village-pillage and Heretic v. Stone King fight seemed rushed. Not only was it a conclusion that I didn't really need, but it was also a jarring one.

My major complaint, however, is the Heretic's "deal" with Magus. Firstly, the ominous foreshadowing of having even struck a deal culminates too quickly - mere paragraphs afterwards - which contributes to the sense of a rushed conclusion and misses a chance to build tension in an ongoing story. More importantly, the terms of the deal are and should be vague, but rather than build a sense of mystery, they make the Heretic come across as... well, he's probably supposed to be crazy. But what seems to me the better, more dramatic option is to have Magus, bewildered, accidentally say the right words, make a promise in language he doesn't understand, and solve the conflict almost by accident.

Sense of mystery has been on my mind a lot recently. BIONICLE 2001, especially the MNOLG, was drowning in it, but G2 seems to have missed that nuance. I feel like it's what you're going for with Stone Book, but I don't see it so much here.

But just because I have nitpicks doesn't mean that this was a blast to read, and I rejoice in having some new lore to mull over! Does Magus have some connection to the Old Magician, for example? In "Precedence", Sobai suggests that the Old Magician predates the Stone King and is mentioned in the beginning of the Stone Book, which would contradict their interactions here, but he also mentions that the Old Magician dealt with an uprising of Thorns. The existence of Thorns seems dependant on the presence of a Fragmentation to violate, but if Magus was the first to be Fragmented, then there seems to be some time travel involved. I must be missing something... I would assume that Fragmentation is not new to the kingdom as of "The First Choice", but it is new to Magus, or as a commoner he was heretofore unaccustomed to it. Gutenberg does imply that there are other royals, towards the end. But if that's the case, how can Rachis claim a direct line from the Old Magician in "Backbone"? Unless she is his descendant, while Magus isn't?

I don't need answers to all of these questions, but I think you should know what questions I have - I know you want to raise some of them, but others might have been unintentional! As for me, I'm happy to keep reading, and to figure it out as I go - or not! Spectral

Keep writing! I need to scrape together the time to do so as well. In fact, if I could produce something half as compelling as Stone Book I'd have impressed myself. Four chapters in, but it seems like the series I wish that I had written.

Back to top Go down
Lignar
Mysterious Figure

PostSubject: Re: Break: Review   Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:05 am

Color me grateful, Spectral - your reviews are always helpful. :P

Yes, this chapter probably answered more questions than you're accustomed to - but it was a forgone one, and I feel that raising too many issues would instead screw up timelines entirely. There's less nuance to be gotten in the past, as well. Where would the mystery come from in a land without a kingdom? The Day is within Magus Tyrans's living memory, and Gutenberg's metaphorical wings are barely feathered by this point, having not even seen him in his first sleep.

But I understand your complaint about how the deal is handled, though, and I had trouble writing it. In fact, I'll ask you this - do you want me to rewrite it, and add a little more in the section between it and the crowning of Magus? Or even to remove the battle scene? (I was, originally, planning to have the deal with the Heretic struck in the mountain clearing, without Gutenberg present - perhaps the interspersion is more obvious than I thought...) I could and will rewrite if you'd rather see that, but if leaving the story as-is would be better, then I can do that instead.

I don't want to spoil answers to all your questions, but there are a couple of things that can be read straight from "The First Choice"! Magus seems not to know what Fragmentation even is, despite Gutenberg seeming quite unconcerned about public knowledge of it, at least by the time of "Precedence" - why would he not know?

The one thing I'll specifically point out is the problem of the Line Tyrans. Magus notes early on that he does not have a family, and until he and his line are named anew by Gutenberg, he does not have a family name either. When Magus points out that he has no family line at that point, Gutenberg just orders him to make one.

As always, thanks for all your praise and critique. I never thought this series would be your favorite, but I'm glad it is, because I have a lot yet to write and imagine for the Stone Book. :P

-|W|G|-

Back to top Go down
The Spectral Mask

PostSubject: Re: Break: Review   Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:42 pm

It's not only the pacing of the deal that concerns me, although I think that cutting out the entire section, from zigzag to zigzag, containing the battle scene makes for a better transition. You might also cut everything after the deal in the clearing, and then start a new chapter; or perhaps insert a few more chapters set in the present before coming back to Magus. At any rate, it's quite unclear how much time has past between the deal and the fight; I first thought that Magus had just descended the mountain.

But I also have trouble understanding why the Heretic latched on to Magus' talk of peace. It might have something to do with peace being related to Foundation, so perhaps the Heretic has some Foundation in him after all; presumably that's what the soil manipulation was all about. I don't know how it might be rephrased, but I think you're aiming for something mythical. Instead, the Heretic comes across as inane.

As for Magus' Fragmentation, I already presumed that Gutenburg gave it to him first, and then he passed it down to others. What I don't understand is how the Old Magician could have been fighting Thorns in the beginning of the Stone Book, since Fragmentation is new to Magus but the Stone Book has already been around for a some time. I guess not long; the Stone Book must be mostly empty during "First Choice" - that does explain what's so "first" about it - which implies that Magus will become to Old Magician, as his name suggests; it would also explain why Rachis refers to the Old Magician when defending her lineage, given that Magus is the founder of the Tyrans. Hm, answers.

But Gutenburg's contest with Lignar also suggests something even older. The 6F System and godhood are old enough to have a procedure, involving candidates who have come and gone long in the past. I guess all of that is out of the scope of the Stone Book, but even stories of the kingdom's beginnings can tap into that mystery.

I find myself wondering why you had Magus mention Lignar in his brief exposition, as to why he had volunteered to seek out the Heretic. That contextualizes how Lignar fits into this world's history, and into the 6Fs... why contextualize anything? :P

Back to top Go down
Lignar
Mysterious Figure

PostSubject: Re: Break: Review   Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:58 pm

Having had an insight into the futures of both Lignar and Magus, I'm rewriting the middle-to-end of the chapter to be more accurate. I think you'll like it better. :P I'm hoping to get it out tonight Just got it out - so happy Thanksgiving, haha.

I think you're beginning to see where I'm going, but I'm not sure what your objection is to context. Not everything can be a mystery, especially in a chapter in the past. :P But there are some things that rise from the story of Magus, Gutenberg, the Heretic, and the line of the Tyrans that you won't see coming - I guarantee it!

-|W|G|-

Back to top Go down
Lignar
Mysterious Figure

PostSubject: Re: Break: Review   Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:11 am

Considering that my trouble with writing hasn't been writer's block, but simply not liking my writing, I should just have posted something here in the last two years and been done with it. :P

I'm going to make up for that by posting a few things in the next while, even if they're not "complete" in the way that I normally think of. The first of two pieces I just posted is sort of an across-the-water-barrier reflection of "Under the Sun", which I also hated to begin with. The melodrama of that uncharacteristic story sets up the notion that maybe Leon Sparso isn't seeing things quite right - pastoral setting not aside! The second piece is self-explanatory - if you read its predecessor story in Break.

But of course also there's the matter of many, many other unpublished stories, and I want to end the (honest-to-6F) TWO-year drought in this topic with a solid set of material. Or at least a substantial set. "Solid" as a function of quality is up to readers' interpretation.

-|W|G|-

Back to top Go down
The Spectral Mask

PostSubject: Re: Break: Review   Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:26 am

I don't know how often I tell you that your prose is beautiful. And your tone, though variable between stories, always has a touch of something delightfully wry. Spectral

I didn't particularly care for "Under the Sun" myself. I think the pastoral setting could have worked, but the structure (attempted juxtaposition?) of the story didn't support it. I had absolutely no idea until today that Sparso was an unreliable narrator, if that was the intention.

"Fireside Corollary" is remarkable in that:

a. it supports my original suspicion that Runa was infected with the Ohlt, a... something, but also that she was strong enough to keep it at bay and able to kill herself before it could take over;

b. it simultaneously raises far more questions than it answers. Who is Wrenwreck? A Treasurer? A (post-Sparso's-departure) teammate of Runa's? The traitor on that team?

(I'd rather you didn't answer. :P )

The new names, Wrenwreck and Gutterthrush (presumably either the name of the demon, an insult, or a rather pejorative-sounding codename) are some of your best. I didn't really like the names in "Under the Sun" as they didn't come together into a tonal whole for me, and MacGolem still feels out of place even here, but these new names suit the stories' world perfectly. Besides, I have a weakness for any name that resembles a compound, but is less literal and more impressionist (by extension?) euphonic. I didn't finish Gormenghast, but I loved the names!

As for "Splintering": first of all, the titles of characters, groups, and events in your stories are always incredible. I love the sound of the "Bringer of Heterodoxes," and it's exactly that kind of melancholically meta mythopoeia that delights me. That's in no small part why I love the Stone Book so much.

Another strength of the Stone Book is how surreal and yet complete it feels. Similarly, in Jens' world there seems no contradiction between the (despite possibly being on Earth) otherworldly exterior of the apartment, his whiteboard and (orange screened!) computer, and the presence of a gargoyle. Despite coming from different settings and styles, all fit the same tone of anxiety and, to a lesser extent, decay. This makes them feel "consistent and complete," to borrow a logicians' phrase.

Reading (or re-reading) "Mnemosynean Hikikomori" informs one so, so, so much better of Jens' character that it really is a prerequisite. Otherwise one has no way of knowing that Jens' anxiety is not always induced by a manhunt, and it makes it easier to recognize that sending the email is partly eccentricity on his part. In short, it makes him seem less competent, but makes him more sympathetic.

I don't know if you ever watched Netflix's Series of Unfortunate Events, or recall if you've read the books even. However, despite rereading "Mnemosynean Hikikomori" first, I imagined myself having failed to do so, and I would have compared Jens to the show's version of Lemony Snicket. In the context of the previous installment, he's much closer to the Snicket I always had in my head, and whom I much prefer.

I've missed reviewing for you! Always a pleasure. Spectral

Back to top Go down
Lignar
Mysterious Figure

PostSubject: Re: Break: Review   Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:05 am

As you know I think by now, your reviews are always great to read, and it's always wonderful in general to hear from you about writing.

I don't like "Under the Sun". It's right up there with "Upon Newton's Ocean", "Lingering Contusions", and (ironically) "Backbone" as some of my least favorites. But I don't like the latter three because they're cursory, incomplete, and difficult to relate to. "Under the Sun" is a straight-up bitter syrup, a melodrama that I can't even enjoy on most any level. It was written at a bad time and in a bad way. It doesn't fit the broader narrative of the two abandoned agents. I guess my struggle now is to try to show how and why it doesn't fit.

So, with that said, I'm glad "Firelight Corollary" gave you sustenance for thought. :P It falls right into that pattern of incomplete stories a la "Lingering Contusions", but I'd been sitting on it so long that I just had to call it done, and move on to what comes after it. It raises some questions, and that's what a good story should do - or at least I think you'd think so. We'll see R.M. "Gutterthrush" and Rangent Wrenwreck again, maybe even soon.

"Splintering of the Binding Network" was less a story I'd been sitting on and felt the need to get out, but rather quick and joyful to write, at least in its two distinct halves separated by a year or more of no editing and no adding to it (I hope it isn't obvious where that hinge fell). Jens is interesting. I like him. Is there any other hint of a story in Break that's situated on present-day Earth? And yet he hides in his room and doesn't see any of Earth at all. He's aware that Vaury doesn't belong on the planet, but the gargoyle sees more of the world than he does (cf. "Mnemosynean Hikikomori" again).

I like what you're saying, too, about "anxiety", "decay", "'consistent and complete'". The nature of the shut-in's story is about to change drastically, what with leaving his apartment at last, but there's a power to the imagery of his lonely room. He first appeared fully formed in the early afternoon, and now on the eve of his flight from home the light has faded to deep orange. Will he emerge into evening or sunrise?

Again, I don't know your cultural reference, this time due to not having Netflix. :P But I did read that series as a kid; it was too long ago to compare, but I appreciate how I have echoes of what you saw in stronger authors' work. Or maybe their work is an echo of mine. Who knows.

-|W|G|-

Back to top Go down
The Spectral Mask

PostSubject: Re: Break: Review   Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:31 pm

As I mentioned via text, it's always a pleasure to brighten your day with my humble reviews. Spectral

As for the most recent update:

Was the brief shift into first-person perspective in "Quake Raven" intentional? I reread it in preparation for "Somatic Excommunication."

"Excommunication" is a fine story, but so short I really don't have much to say about it. The only detail that seems significant is the reference to the Panama hat, which presumably places this in the same universe "Fireside Corollary," although the connection seems... tenuous? Wrenwreck and Rus Allendi's contact don't share much else in common.

Back to top Go down
Lignar
Mysterious Figure

PostSubject: Re: Break: Review   Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:01 pm

I don't believe it was, but I'll look it over; it should have been all second-person.

I guess what I'd have to ask is, what's not in common between Wrenwreck and the contact?

-|W|G|-

Back to top Go down
Lignar
Mysterious Figure

PostSubject: Re: Break: Review   Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:35 am

Alright, apologies for a double-post, but I think it doesn't really matter on this site in its current state anyway.

Having posted an awful lot of weirdness, I'd like to share a master-post of all the stories in Break to-date, as well as the ways in which one story is explicitly connected to its logical others (that is - the prequels and sequels within worlds). It is a slight spoiler, so take it as you will, but it's useful if you want to be able to search for a title and hop around within the really long story thread, lol.

Spoiler:

What I find interesting is that most stories have a sequel of some kind, at this point. Only a couple have more than one sequel, though, including a certain Stone Book with a whopping seven eight!

-|W|G|-

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Break: Review   

Back to top Go down

Break: Review
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2