Share | 

Fleischer's Castle

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
The Spectral Mask
Head Librarian & Game Master

PostSubject: Fleischer's Castle   Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:21 pm

Fleischer's Castle

Here is the product of several hours of Max Fleischer's silent cartoons and the meticulous separation of colored bricks from non-colored bricks. Not that I filtered out every single piece, ha-ha! But I only used greyscale pieces, you see. It was quite the project. You'll notice the functioning gate centered between castle turrets and the skull, another one of those large, cumbersome pieces that I can't seem to ignore despite their difficulty. You might even recognize the ship's hull from the Time Cruiser's Flying Time Vessel built into its rear, as better seen here:

And, in the tradition of LEGO's classic castles, it opens in the front:

When opened, the gate is sort of half-suspended in mid-air. Anyone who walks on that side of the entryway falls through a trapdoor to the dungeon, which I outfitted with a bed, toilet, and sink. You also get a nice view of the inside of the skull, which includes a convenient looking-glass.

From the mast, a crane operator can transport crates from the towers down to the laboratory and workshop, using magnetic features pillaged from my handful of Insectiods.

I tried to pack as much detail as I could in the lower floors. Behind the spiral staircase are a few more storage containers, and to the left of that space is a laboratory with a furnace or boiler of some kind and an ominous tool shelf. Lastly I built a workshop, which features a desk with ink and quill, a crystal ball, and worm's tail soup.

I think my favorite part was building the monochrome minifigures, though. Clockwise from top left: The Sasquatch, Captain Bones and his Skeleton Crew, Blackspire the Dragon, the Plague Doctor, Camera Head, Seymour the Cyclops, and Jailbird.

I'm so fond of that Plague Doctor design, I think I'll be reusing it for my next big project.

Reactions, reviews? Constructive criticism for my constructions?

Back to top Go down
http://codrexmagna.forumotion.com/
Lignar
Mysterious Figure

PostSubject: Re: Fleischer's Castle   Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:15 am

A few comments at least before I forget...

First, I think it's great you made an achromatic castle.  :P It's fun (if I can say that about a lack of color) and it fits the castle.

Second, I do have to say that my first general impression of it is both very sheer-sided and gappy on the outside. It's a small castle, but the use of the boat halves precludes a complete walling-off of its interior. It's a design choice of opinion, but it's not my favorite.

I have to note that the photos are pretty darn small, and I would like to see a larger picture of the Plague Doctor head design. :P

My favorite part is of course the interior and the details there, especially the little dungeon with toilet and sink, though the lab is also interesting.

But I'm not sure what to say in general about the castle. I felt like there could've been even more details, tools, and general stuff to fit in the lower levels, and though the crane and ship halves give some shape and character to the whole thing, the only lasting good impression of the complete whole is just from the lovely monochrome. Maybe I just had a bit too many expectations beforehand.

-|W|G|-

Back to top Go down
http://codrexmagna.forumotion.com
The Spectral Mask
Head Librarian & Game Master

PostSubject: Re: Fleischer's Castle   Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:30 pm

Yes, it's definitely possible to have fun without color. :P

I can definitely see what you mean about the walls - I too often get tired of trying to build regular surfaces, but I could have worked harder to integrate the boat into the castle's structure. I would also do well to add more intricate details; unfortunately, I built the hollow shell first and then detailed it, which prevented me from integrating as much as I could have.

The photos are 10% of there original size, and I'm still learning the contours of uploading resized photos using Brickshelf instead of the Gallery. However, if my latest and greatest project pulls through, we should be seeing many more photos, and much more of the Plague Doctor design. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
http://codrexmagna.forumotion.com/
Lignar
Mysterious Figure

PostSubject: Re: Fleischer's Castle   Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:16 pm

For resizing photos, if you're using a typical point-and-shoot, I might recommend 25% rather than 10%. Still small but a bit more detail is left visible.

I see about the hollow shell, though it looks like a lot of the walls are one-piece too, so integration of small details might've been hard in the walls themselves. But that might be part of my point too - the rare times I've tried making large buildings (because I don't have the resources to do many, unlike THOSE LEGO USER GROUPS) I rely a lot on basic bricks to allow the addition of extra kinds of pieces and textures and features.

Anyway though, it could go without saying that I look forward to your latest project. :P

-|W|G|-

Back to top Go down
http://codrexmagna.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fleischer's Castle   

Back to top Go down

Fleischer's Castle
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1