View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Makuta Luroka
Element Lords Created
Element Lords Created

PostSubject: Makuta Luroka   Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:49 pm

Finally managed to shoot this guy... Anyway, here is my entry for the BFTGM:

http://i.imgur.com/y3uqa6D.jpg

This is Makuta Luroka. His body towers at 14 bio (63 feet), but he reduces his size on occasion. His armor weighs 983,911 lbs and is of a very high temper. He wears the Kanohi Mataxa, the great mask of entropy. It grants him the power to control the distribution of heat in a given area by raising or lowering entropy. He wields the Onui-Onoi sword (Black-Body sword), a magic black protosteel sword whose blade absorbs light. This sword is also given such a temper as to render it the hardest object in the universe. In addition, he wields the powers typical of a makuta, but has developed an unmatched mastery over magnetism, using it to further augment his incredible strength. Complimentary to his vast power is his incredible mind. As a Brotherhood scientist, Luroka had no equal, and even Teridax's schemes pale in comparison to Luroka's brilliance. All in all, he is a being of incredible power, and an unstoppable force when he sets his sights on something.

Full gallery here:
http://imgur.com/a/7mPop

C&C is always appreciated!

Last edited by Makuta Luroka on Tue May 26, 2015 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?s=40c7c04e1bafc3abce19481
Not the Critic
Head Librarian & Game Master

PostSubject: Re: Makuta Luroka   Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:50 pm

Ah, I'd be interested to know if you modified him at all for the contest, or just photographed him as he already was...

Well, the claws stand out as simple, yet well-designed. If I had started with the claws as my set-piece , building up the arms to the torso, then the rest of the body seems to complement them well in color and in scale. The color distribution is well-balanced, to keep him looking bad in black, not just neutral silver. The torso structure is a little lopsided compared to the rest of the well-proportioned body, but your poses to a nice job of leaving him both lurching and scheming and simultaneously tall, broad-shouldered, and strong. I just feel as though the chest armor could have been spread more evenly; it almost looks lumpy, misshapen. I wonder about attaching something to the upside-down Mata feet you have in the shoulder assembly, perhaps some Teridax-reminiscent Nuva chestplates. but I see you've posted this on BZP, too, so it's a little late for modifications.

The tubing is a nice thematic element throughout the torso, to the point where I would have liked to see a little more over the rest of the body. The wings are straight out of Legends of Metru Nui and make it clear that this is a Makuta Lord. It's a good blend of classic Technic and modern (or, I should say, post-2004) titan building. Now that I think of it, it looks like you've left out any hero factory. Do you have any of the sets, as an aside?

In any case, my biggest critique is the lower legs. You're clearly able to do an excellent job of supporting his massive limbs with multiple ball-joints while still looking stylish, something I've always found challenging, personally. However, the legs seem excessively jumbled, more of a tangle of multiple limbs than a coherent form. The knee armor looks too low to achieve that sleek, spiky look that I think you were going for, and that Av-Matoran tendon should probably be replaced by some extension joiners.

Nevertheless, he achieves what I think you set out to do; he's clearly a Makuta, he's clearly well-balanced and dangerous, and he's clearly wicked bad. Spectral

Makuta Luroka
Element Lords Created
Element Lords Created

PostSubject: Re: Makuta Luroka   Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:04 am

Thanks for commenting!

I definitely love the color scheme, and, since the previous time I built him, I've replaced all the light grey technic axles with black. I feel that I did make the torso a little too thin, whilst giving it a large amount of depth, but I feel that the wings and tentacles counter that very well. I don't really know what to do with the shoulders, to be honest, because I've tried nuva shoulders, but that didn't work. I am glad I replaced the old dark bley ones with black ones though (this is where having all six toa mata sets comes in handy). As far as modifications goes, I've posted an older version before. This is the product of almost two years of modifications.

I definitely love the tubing and wish I could have added a bit more, and I feel like the tentacles are a little short and unimpressive. The wings were intended to be highly fearsome and imposing, and I see that they do their job perfectly. I left out most HF because I didn't own any HF when I initially built him in the Christmas of '12 (That changed on New Year's Eve), but I did put in the friction joints in his hips. (I have 6223 Bulk, 6228 Thornraxx, 6230 Stormer XL, 6283 Voltix, 44000 Furno XL, 44001 Pyrox, and 44007 Ogrum at the time of writing this.)

I definitely agree with you on the lower legs, but I just can't think of any real solution to that without incorporating more HF. As far as the knee armor goes, I also agree that it feels almost a little out of place, but again, there doesn't seem to be a reliable solution presenting itself.

Since building this, I've added black inika and metru armor to the grey joints in the upper legs, and added those beams in the bohrok heads to the insides of the zamor launchers in the lower legs.

PostSubject: Re: Makuta Luroka   

Back to top Go down

Makuta Luroka
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1