Codrex Magna
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Spectral's Toa Versions 1.1

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
The Spectral Mask
Head Librarian & Game Master
The Spectral Mask

Spectral's Toa Versions 1.1 Empty
PostSubject: Spectral's Toa Versions 1.1   Spectral's Toa Versions 1.1 EmptyThu Jun 11, 2015 10:47 pm

Spectral Lewa 1.1

Spectral's Toa Versions 1.1 Fx0n0Qq

Click to view the full gallery. Spectral

To celebrate the beginning of summer I thought that I'd redo the 2015 Toa. As I've said elsewhere, I really like the 2015 sets, but due to a combination of piece count restrictions, requirements for new pieces, and a continued fixation on chrome armor, I knew LEGO could never deliver the heroes I really needed.

Lewa was the biggest disappointment of the six, which is not to say that I don't like 2015 Lewa - I find him to be a great looking model, just the new mask just isn't a Miru to me (which might be because it's the Mask of Jungle, not Levitation, but whatever.) If I finish the other five, they'll probably have more in common with their original (or "new original," I guess) versions. I just had to get rid of a shade of green I couldn't support and a mask I didn't fancy.

What is it with constraction figures and color schemes, anyway? The 90's and 2001 clearly proved that colors could carry constraction figures and yet from 2002 on it's just been a gradual creeping in of chrome armor and black or grey bones. I am privilege to have as many parts, especially old parts, as I do; enough to sustain a bright green model like this one.

Note the version number, 1.1. I'm not satisfied with this prototype quite yet but I'm going to move on to the other five before I revise this one further. I'll settle on relatively final versions after some tinkering, once all six have been completed. It'll be kind of like The Avengers except with less Scarlet Johansson.

Last edited by The Spectral Mask on Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://codrexmagna.forumotion.com/
Makuta Luroka
Element Lords Created
Element Lords Created
Makuta Luroka

PostSubject: Re: Spectral's Toa Versions 1.1   Spectral's Toa Versions 1.1 EmptyFri Jun 12, 2015 12:27 am

I definitely see a jungle vibe you are going for, but it looks rather jumbled, and there are quite a few gaps here and there, especially in the legs. The torso seems a bit bulky for a toa of air/jungle, and I'd suggest trimming it down. Aside from that, my only gripe I suppose would be that there is a disproportionate amount of lime green.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?s=40c7c04e1bafc3abce19481
The Spectral Mask
The Spectral Mask

PostSubject: Re: Spectral's Toa Versions 1.1   Spectral's Toa Versions 1.1 EmptyFri Jun 12, 2015 12:51 am

The torso should be my area of focus for my next attempt, definitely. I want to work on making more compact custom humanoids, and the "agile Toa of Air" or Jungle or whatever seems like a good place to start.

I also probably rushed the lower legs and left too many gaps there. Trypophobia was not really a concern of mine, but I certainly see the concern now. What to do about the holes present in joints such as the elbows and knees, though? Without that space before the ball joint, they couldn't bend. Official limbs get away with this by making those holes as small as possible, but I don't see a way to reduce it beyond the one unit it's currently stuck at. Any ideas?
Back to top Go down
Makuta Luroka
Element Lords Created
Element Lords Created
Makuta Luroka

PostSubject: Re: Spectral's Toa Versions 1.1   Spectral's Toa Versions 1.1 EmptyFri Jun 12, 2015 2:02 am

put something over it to make it less visible. Kneecaps. Though I'd suggest short ones.
Back to top Go down
The Spectral Mask
The Spectral Mask

PostSubject: Re: Spectral's Toa Versions 1.1   Spectral's Toa Versions 1.1 EmptySun Jun 14, 2015 9:53 pm

Spectral Tahu 1.1

Spectral's Toa Versions 1.1 7BfgYGO

Click to view the full gallery. Spectral

I thought it might be better to have the whole team in one thread, rather than post them separately.

I'm much more pleased with Tahu than Lewa. As Luroka advised, I tried to cover gaps in his armor as much as possible, or avoid them altogether. Not to mention that he's slightly more compact, a trend which I hope shall continue as I work through the remaining four.

Sorry about the images - I tried a different zoom setting this time and I already regret it.

This will be the last MOC I submit here in the East! I'm moving to the mid-West in less than a week, to a new, larger house where I have been offered a LEGO room (sort of; it'll have a TV and ping-pong table as well, but at least I don't have to schedule around Scodonius' band practice. Plus more space is always good!) and where I will attempt tp construct a more organized MOCing station. So hopefully many more MOCs from me, starting with the rest of the original Toa!
Back to top Go down
Makuta Luroka
Element Lords Created
Element Lords Created
Makuta Luroka

PostSubject: Re: Spectral's Toa Versions 1.1   Spectral's Toa Versions 1.1 EmptyMon Jun 15, 2015 7:45 pm

I like the bulky feel of tahu, and the color scheme feels more balanced. I'd suggest reworking the shield, and raising his shoulders a tiny bit.

EDIT: nevermind the shoulders, flatten out the upper torso a bit or make it slope more towards his neck. unfortunately nothing to do about his mask, but it looks a little small here.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spectral's Toa Versions 1.1   Spectral's Toa Versions 1.1 Empty

Back to top Go down

Spectral's Toa Versions 1.1
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Codrex Magna :: Creative Discussion :: Codrex Magna Artistic Media :: 3D Art and Media :: LEGO/BIONICLE MOCs and Models-
Jump to: