Codrex Magna
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Revamp: Makuta Krika

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Veritamancer
Relict Antihero
Veritamancer

Revamp: Makuta Krika Empty
PostSubject: Revamp: Makuta Krika   Revamp: Makuta Krika EmptyTue Oct 09, 2012 12:42 am

It would seem the time has come for another revamp to be posted, despite the conspicuous lack of forthcoming constructive criticism.

More so than my previous model (Mahri Kongu), this version of Krika is an experiment. These limb designs are "custom", albeit exceedingly simple, and in the design of the torso and pelvis I attempted to fit together large pre-molded components in a novel way. May you enjoy.

Note: These are hosted offsite more as a matter of convenience than any substantive reason. See links below my posted image for all other photos.

Revamp: Makuta Krika Krika_1f

Side
Back
Sword Wielder
Throwing a Kick
Stepping on the Viewer

=|/-\|=
Back to top Go down
https://codrexmagna.forumotion.com
The Spectral Mask
Head Librarian & Game Master
The Spectral Mask

PostSubject: Re: Revamp: Makuta Krika   Revamp: Makuta Krika EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 7:48 pm

I must apologize for not noticing these earlier, Maestro!

The torso is excellent, impressive because it works together many large, cumbersome peices while still looking dynamic. Limb design is also strong, and I approve of how they sort of taper off as they reach his hands.

However, the axel connector used to hold to attach his spikes seems out of place and unnecessary. I don't know how badly it would affect his posture if they were removed, but if it's not to drastic, I think his spikes would be better off connected directly to the hands.

I love the third leg and the back detail! Again, it speaks for clever torso design.

And of course, we wouldn't be complete without his Kanohi Crast. However, the version he wore in the Swamp of Karda Nui was a mutated version, and I would have liked to see an attempt to build a "generic" Crast - Sykura tried something of the sort on his self-MOC, I recall. Then again, I'm being really nit-picky here, talking about what it could have been.

My caveats aside, this is a splendid model! I hope to see you revamp some of the other stranger sets in the future.
Back to top Go down
https://codrexmagna.forumotion.com/
Lord Mayhem
First Toa Team
First Toa Team
Lord Mayhem

PostSubject: Re: Revamp: Makuta Krika   Revamp: Makuta Krika EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 10:14 pm

I am no expert on bionicles but that looks awesome XD also (mainly because of spectrals fanfic) I am able to identify the mask of repulsion which looks really awesome and fits krikas spiny motif... all of the spines all of them!
Back to top Go down
Veritamancer
Relict Antihero
Veritamancer

PostSubject: Re: Revamp: Makuta Krika   Revamp: Makuta Krika EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 12:34 am

To Spectral, I must admit I am gratified to finally have these various projects noticed, and thank you for reviewing them.

It was very much my intention to marry the large bulky pieces present in the torso in a harmonious way, partially due to the fact that they are so rarely useful for any reason. The tapering was also a detail I intentionally incorporated in the way of making the spiked blades seem more a part of Krika's body.

I do see your complaint about the axel connectors, and it was part of the design from the beginning only due to the fact I mentioned above, that the hope was to incorporate his blades more fully into his body, and I had previously hoped that the angle provided by the axle connectors when attached to his hand would give more of an impression of pincers. Although it doesn't seem to have worked especially well, I would rather simply find another way to avoid attaching the blades directly to his hand sockets.

I am glad that you do like the back details, as I had been somewhat concerned about color layering there.

Lastly, perhaps I should have made it clearer, but this most certainly is Krika in the Swamp of Secrets. Prior to that period, he would likely have been in humanoid form, as the other Makuta were. A bipedal Krika would have presented me with interesting challenges such as the "generic-normal" Kanohi Crast you mention, and I may attempt something of the sort in the future, but this was not intended to be Krika's original form, hence the label of "revamp" as his only set form was his mutated form.

To Iraemancer, I'm pleased you took the time to look at this and noticed the spines throughout, so thanks much.

=|/-\|=
Back to top Go down
The Spectral Mask
The Spectral Mask

PostSubject: Re: Revamp: Makuta Krika   Revamp: Makuta Krika EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 6:37 pm

And thank you, Maestro, for building and uploading them in the first place. :D

* The Spectral Mask lightly tips his hat.

Perhaps some small, small, small armor could be placed over the axel connecors? I have no idea what peices could do the job, but I quite like the idea of bulking the connection a bit. Actually, something similar to the leg (foot? spike?) design might do the job.

And yeah, I see what you're saying about the Crast. Still, I loved what Sykura did on his self-MOC, even if it wouldn't have worked here ... I just find custom masks are just kewl Very Happy .

I saw the most amazing Mask of Elemental Energy once ... I'll have to try and find it again!
Back to top Go down
Veritamancer
Relict Antihero
Veritamancer

PostSubject: Re: Revamp: Makuta Krika   Revamp: Makuta Krika EmptyThu Nov 22, 2012 3:20 am

Building them was my pleasure - as, after all, I would not have ended up building them if it hadn't been a pleasure. Razz

A similar construction to the design of the feet is quite a good idea for the hand axle connectors, and at some point may bear actual investigation, as this Krika revamp remains intact on display in my basement. I believe I will indeed try something based on your suggestion...

I was not overly fond of Sykura's version of the Crast, as I found it incredibly reminiscent of a Bohrok Va head - it was nearly the same in appearance. I doubt that I'll work much with custom Kanohi in revamps, but perhaps in other creations in the future, and I would be interested to see the Kanohi of Elemental Energy if you find the photos again.

=|/-\|=
Back to top Go down
The Spectral Mask
The Spectral Mask

PostSubject: Re: Revamp: Makuta Krika   Revamp: Makuta Krika EmptyThu Nov 22, 2012 4:17 pm

I would be pleased to see a second addition! Or, I suppose, I revamp of the revamp ...

And while Sykura's Crast was very similar to the Bohrok Va head, he had set a very difficult goal for himself - a golden Kanohi Crast. Personally, I wonder what might have happened if he had aimed for pre-mutation Crast ...

I couldn't find the custom Kanohi of Elemental Energy, unfortunately. Sigh However, this has all got me thinking about custom Kanohi, and I'm headed down to by basement to see what I can put together ...
Back to top Go down
Veritamancer
Relict Antihero
Veritamancer

PostSubject: Re: Revamp: Makuta Krika   Revamp: Makuta Krika EmptyFri Nov 23, 2012 3:33 am

Indeed.

I feel he would have had better luck with a construction that utilized the Chronicler's Staff as the back of the Crast in a vertical orientation, as well as one without the Gahlok-Kal shield...

And, of course, if you end up with an interesting result from your Kanohi experimentation, I look forward to seeing it.

=|/-\|=
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Revamp: Makuta Krika   Revamp: Makuta Krika Empty

Back to top Go down

Revamp: Makuta Krika
Page 1 of 1