Codrex Magna
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I have seen the Codrex Magna admin panel

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
X
Comrade

I have seen the Codrex Magna admin panel Empty
PostSubject: I have seen the Codrex Magna admin panel   I have seen the Codrex Magna admin panel EmptyMon Feb 13, 2017 11:56 pm

I have stared into the Codrex Magna admin panel.

And ye gods, my friends, the admin panel stared back.

In other words: Wally is leveraging my web dev experience to help them refresh the site's appearance. I want to keep the early-'00s hole-in-the-wall feel we all know and love, while making the site a bit friendlier on modern monitors.

So, I ask of you: what is it you like best about the look and feel of Codrex Magna? What do you like the least? Anything that's been bothering you for years that you'd like annihilated (besides me... eh heh heh)? Do let me know! I can also provide some of Wally's and my current ideas if desired.
Back to top Go down
The Spectral Mask
Head Librarian & Game Master
The Spectral Mask

PostSubject: Re: I have seen the Codrex Magna admin panel   I have seen the Codrex Magna admin panel EmptyThu Feb 16, 2017 12:17 am

To be honest, its appearance has never really mattered to much to me. (I started typing up some stuff that has more to do with organization than graphic design, see my blog.)

I guess I prefer the sort of blocky, mechanical way one currently navigates this site. I'm not as big a fan of the kind of features where you click "reply" and a text field spontaneously appears on the same page, probably with a gratuitous "expanding" animation that only slows down a busy page. I'm more Windows 95 than Mac's current OS X 9?

Despite the predominantly blue color scheme, I always picture swampy, light-olive-green as this site's secondary color (after gray, of course.)

And, while I'm not sure if this falls under the same perviews, our emoticons are eclectic and mostly ripped off of BZPower, so maybe those could use some tidying.
Back to top Go down
https://codrexmagna.forumotion.com/
Lignar
Mysterious Figure
Lignar

PostSubject: Re: I have seen the Codrex Magna admin panel   I have seen the Codrex Magna admin panel EmptyThu Feb 16, 2017 5:19 pm

Spectral - where was the organization material you wrote again? And/or did you mean your blog on this site, as I don't see it there.

The emoticons have always needed tidying and I made them worse over time by adding ones from random sources or my own editing. :P As far as graphic design goes, that's at least one thing that I'm actually qualified to work with, unlike virtually everything else. (Hence the blue color scheme, which is essentially unaltered from the forum default look.)

-|W|G|-
Back to top Go down
https://codrexmagna.forumotion.com
The Spectral Mask
The Spectral Mask

PostSubject: Re: I have seen the Codrex Magna admin panel   I have seen the Codrex Magna admin panel EmptyFri Feb 17, 2017 2:30 am

Ah... that blog post is still underway. XD
Back to top Go down
X
Comrade

PostSubject: Re: I have seen the Codrex Magna admin panel   I have seen the Codrex Magna admin panel EmptyFri Feb 17, 2017 4:01 am

The Spectral Mask wrote:
I guess I prefer the sort of blocky, mechanical way one currently navigates this site. I'm not as big a fan of the kind of features where you click "reply" and a text field spontaneously appears on the same page, probably with a gratuitous "expanding" animation that only slows down a busy page. I'm more Windows 95 than Mac's current OS X 9?

I'm glad you like the basic text- and image-based navigation, too. ^^ I really, really like simple websites that do everything with CSS and limited Javascript - the sort of websites that were more common in the early '00s. I want to keep that look and feel as I work on the site's theme.

I am not about page-element animation, so no worries on that front. It's probably not even possible in this framework.

The Spectral Mask wrote:
Despite the predominantly blue color scheme, I always picture swampy, light-olive-green as this site's secondary color (after gray, of course.)

Wally is more in charge of color schemes (I might be a little colorblind), but I agree that a sort of swampy green is part of the CM color scheme? I think we could bring that out a bit more, if Wally wants. (Perhaps they can come up with something in the near future and refine it after they take their color theory class next semester.)

The Spectral Mask wrote:
And, while I'm not sure if this falls under the same perviews, our emoticons are eclectic and mostly ripped off of BZPower, so maybe those could use some tidying.

I've been wanting to revamp the emoticon selection for several years. I think a number of them could be removed without anyone noticing. Are there any y'all particularly want to see removed (or anything you want added)?
Back to top Go down
The Spectral Mask
The Spectral Mask

PostSubject: Re: I have seen the Codrex Magna admin panel   I have seen the Codrex Magna admin panel EmptySat Feb 25, 2017 4:00 am

There are basically two sets of emoticons: A ( :D ) and B ( Very Happy ). I think A comes from BZPower and I'm willing to eliminate them entirely, and see all emoticons done in the style of B.

For reasons that should slowly be growing obvious, a "no" sign in style B might be appropriate in the near future.

Back to top Go down
Lignar
Mysterious Figure
Lignar

PostSubject: Re: I have seen the Codrex Magna admin panel   I have seen the Codrex Magna admin panel EmptySat Feb 25, 2017 5:25 am

Well, in particular, nothing marks set A as coming from BZP; that's where I copied them from but I think they're common to all Invision-type forums like that, or at least I've seen them elsewhere. I actually prefer them to set B, even if set B came first, but if I'm overruled on that I'll set aside set A. :P

Also... how slow is slowly? I don't really know what you're referring to by the "no" sign, given that you've basically just now changed your account displays to reflect something new, so I guess I'm not sure what should be obvious.

In addition, I'd still like to hear your blog-based thoughts on structure, if you're planning on posting those at some point soon.

-|W|G|-
Back to top Go down
X
Comrade

PostSubject: Re: I have seen the Codrex Magna admin panel   I have seen the Codrex Magna admin panel EmptySat Feb 25, 2017 5:54 am

From a design standpoint, I strongly prefer set A. B might go better with the look+feel we're going for. In any case, I'm not going to make anything new from scratch in the near future - if we need new emoticons, I'll pull them from somewhere else.

I can add a "no" sign but I would rather know why and/or wait until it is relevant.
Back to top Go down
The Spectral Mask
The Spectral Mask

PostSubject: Re: I have seen the Codrex Magna admin panel   I have seen the Codrex Magna admin panel EmptySat Feb 25, 2017 6:22 pm

Blog post is done! I whittled down the structure related stuff; other matters pertaining to the "no" signs and my plans for the imminent future have to be sorted first.

And personally, I prefer Set B. Perhaps we should set it to a vote? I'll go poke Arty, he'll vote Set B, and then I'll be overruled. XD

I prefer making faces out of alphanumeric characters and punctuation anyway! (n_n)

Edit: Used color and underline to emphasize the link.

Edit 2: Oh, and that's how "slow" is "slowly." To Starry's point, the avatar change was prefatory to the announcement of a new project which, if all goes well, should shake things up around here.
Back to top Go down
X
Comrade

PostSubject: Re: I have seen the Codrex Magna admin panel   I have seen the Codrex Magna admin panel EmptySun Feb 26, 2017 4:30 pm

Thanks for clearing that up, Spectral! Looks like a cool idea, and it'd be nice for our freeway-bypassed small town of a forum to have a bit more exposure. Maybe let me know when you plan on starting; there's some work I'd like to finish before potentially having traffic driven here.

Yes, let's vote! Though I think there are a couple Set A emoticons we should keep, regardless of the outcome.

Spoiler:

Also: um. Would you guys please call me Indigo or my IRL nickname (Cat) instead of my former CM nickname? My sexually abusive ex leveraged that as "his" nickname for me, and it triggers some bad stuff. bounce
Back to top Go down
The Spectral Mask
The Spectral Mask

PostSubject: Re: I have seen the Codrex Magna admin panel   I have seen the Codrex Magna admin panel EmptyMon Feb 27, 2017 12:08 am

You'll know well in advance, I move slowly because but I love making progress reports.

However, I bring up Not the Critic here to illustrate a point. (Yes, now the "thoughts on structure" will be revealed!) This site is now and always has been almost exclusively about sharing and discussing original content. Some of it was good, some of it suffered from a poor execution, maybe a little was a bad idea from the start, most of it was neglected, but all of it was experimental, and all of it was beautiful.

Yes, we have restructured our website to accommodate our content before. Immediate Association has gone from the very bottom subforum (traditionally known as "Completely Off-Topic") to a conveniently high perch. Now, to be perfectly honest, I found the low rung of Immediate Association useful during a chat, here and on BAW. I could refresh the page and not miss a beat in the chatbox, open up the thread in a new tab, respond quickly, close, and repeat. It provides an incentive to scroll down and see every subforum, and notice any new activity.

But the other changes reflect an acknowledgement of our priorities. First, the Scroll of Preperations. The community (Codrex Magna Discussion) above all else. Then our creative work, and then, begrudgingly, discussion of other media.

However, I find things spread out somewhat uncomfortably. Firstly, there are a lot of silly nested subfora. Under "LEGO Sets and Themes" we have seven subfora and only fifteen topics spread amongst them. These feel like exactly what they are - odds and ends thrown in a junk drawer because there's no place better to put them. More importantly, related topics can be scattered across the whole site. Look at what we're doing - switching back and forth between my blog and this thread to articulate a plan for the future. "Check the blog post I haven't made," "Here's a link back to that, "Check back over there." I think we often use our blogs to post updates about our projects, but given any the three projects a blog post might reference, it's possible that they are in three different subfora, all at different levels of organization!

I propose a system based on the most essential element of our site - the project, and its review topic.

Each major content creator gets a subfora. Contained therein are all of their stories, interactive fictions, comics, or other projects. Present also is their blog, pinned to the top. The subfora for collaborations is the first one listed, and its "blog" can be an official news outlet. "Codrex Magna Ideas and Synthesis," though often a site of creative development, is annihilated and immediate association given its own unnested subfora (if it shared space on the main page with anything else, it would bury its competition.) An additional, "miscellaneous" subfora provides a venue for other content creators. Such creators can be promoted at the administrator's' discretion, and anyone can be demoted - although even if it is abandoned, their work may remain enshrined. Each content creator is, of course, moderator for their subfora.

As for your name:

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
X
Comrade

PostSubject: Re: I have seen the Codrex Magna admin panel   I have seen the Codrex Magna admin panel EmptySun Apr 16, 2017 11:00 pm

I appreciate your ideas and have been considering their implementation in my limited free time. I can't address everything right now, but I will say this: I think many of the subfora could be merged or removed entirely. I'm not big on deeply-nested forum structure; it makes navigation confusing and difficult. Having topics compartmentalized is, to me, less useful than having broad categories that are different enough from each other that one can easily guess in which category a given topic would be. I just don't like clicking through navigation trees - perhaps a side effect of the awful internet at my abode.

Unrelated, but we should do something about the gender marker in profiles. I'd rather not have a gender listed, and the system won't let you remove it after you've set one. (You can change it, but the options are not helpful.)

Not the Critic wrote:
As for your name:

Spoiler:

Where did you get this picture of me? :P

Last edited by Indigo on Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:05 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : critical thoughts on gender)
Back to top Go down
The Spectral Mask
The Spectral Mask

PostSubject: Re: I have seen the Codrex Magna admin panel   I have seen the Codrex Magna admin panel EmptyMon May 01, 2017 2:46 pm

Any thoughts about creator-based subfora, rather than subject-matter-based?

To be clear, there also needs to be a "collaborations" subforum and a miscellaneous subforum for creators who don't have their own (yet). I realize that my original pitch might have left that unclear.
Back to top Go down
Lignar
Mysterious Figure
Lignar

PostSubject: Re: I have seen the Codrex Magna admin panel   I have seen the Codrex Magna admin panel EmptyMon May 01, 2017 6:44 pm

Honestly, the only subforums we have currently seem logical for their content - minus the special ones for LEGO discussion and such, especially the ones deep under the art categories, which are more for recognising our past. In terms of the art categories, which are the worst, do you want to see all art categories lumped together? Are there any other types of nested subfora that are problems at present?

I still do not like the idea of creator-based subfora. If we pick up more people wanting to create, they'll want their own subforum, to no end. The potential for proliferation forecasts a big source of headaches in the future. You can argue that we're unlikely to pick up more creators, but we have to be prepared to deal with that potential, particularly if we genuinely revamp and ditch some more of the BIONICLE/Forumotion amateur trappings.

For now, I've removed gender as a field shown in profiles. Forumotion doesn't allow easy WYSIWYG modification of the gender field and I'm really not equipped to do any of the coding required to fix the issue, so I've just let the gender display vanish for now. It may still show up in profile editing, to yourself, but it no longer has any implications anywhere.

Please do look over the new forum structure - it has changed since you all last posted, I think, and feedback on the new way is still needed...

-|W|G|-
Back to top Go down
X
Comrade

PostSubject: Re: I have seen the Codrex Magna admin panel   I have seen the Codrex Magna admin panel EmptyFri May 12, 2017 3:23 pm

I'm not into creator-based subfora, though I think it's a bit premature to worry about the site being clogged with them. I don't like the walled-garden approach to content management, especially if we're trying to draw in new members; having everyone post vaguely similar content in the same fora lends itself better to content discovery. Also: creator-based subfora seem quite similar to blogs, at least to my understanding. 

Wally: I think the new structure is an improvement, but let's brainstorm more once I have invaded your space. :P

I got done with school yesterday, and today I'm moving all my possessions 5 hours northeast because FML. I'm taking a bit of a break from internet stuff for the next week or two to let my eyestrain diminish (can't go outside when it's sunny right now; this is what I get for actually doing the readings for my classes), but I will probably end up getting bored and making some changes to the site. Wisconsin is boring. Beautiful, but uneventful.
Back to top Go down
The Spectral Mask
The Spectral Mask

PostSubject: Re: I have seen the Codrex Magna admin panel   I have seen the Codrex Magna admin panel EmptyTue May 16, 2017 6:10 pm

I'm not a fan of the new "artistic media" subfora. "2D Motion and Multimedia," "2D Art and Media," and "3D Art and Media" sound like an attempt to taxonomize all kinds of "art." Even ignoring arguments as to what does and doesn't constitute art, given the number of MOCs on this site, and given my inclination to keep building, I think erasing that particular subforum was a strange idea. Surely there's some merit in basing the subfora on the nature of the site's existing content? Or are we deliberately trying to leave LEGO/BIONICLE behind us?

But what's more important is that the nested subfora are laid out much more sensibly now; things are now logical and symmetric, and I'm very happy about that, even if most of those subfora are likely to go untouched for a while. Thanks for that!

Isn't there also merit to moving Immediate Association downwards, though?

And is anyone else getting this hideous top-of-page-banner in Chrome?

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
X
Comrade

PostSubject: Re: I have seen the Codrex Magna admin panel   I have seen the Codrex Magna admin panel EmptyTue May 16, 2017 11:22 pm

I think we should move IA down and into its own forum. I agree with Spectral that it would be good to have it right above the chatbox, and it also clutters up the forum it's currently in.

I'm definitely not getting that "banner," and I'm using Chrome on Windows 10. Looks like some CSS is missing or rendered incorrectly. What version of Chrome/Windows[?] are you using? Is this happening on every page?
Back to top Go down
The Spectral Mask
The Spectral Mask

PostSubject: Re: I have seen the Codrex Magna admin panel   I have seen the Codrex Magna admin panel EmptyWed May 17, 2017 8:37 pm

Ah! Re-installing Chrome did the trick. Thanks so much! It's a huge relief.
Back to top Go down
X
Comrade

PostSubject: Re: I have seen the Codrex Magna admin panel   I have seen the Codrex Magna admin panel EmptyThu May 18, 2017 7:35 pm

Moved IA and other forum games into a forum just above the chatbox.

Glad reinstalling Chrome did the trick. Smile
Back to top Go down
X
Comrade

PostSubject: Re: I have seen the Codrex Magna admin panel   I have seen the Codrex Magna admin panel EmptyMon Jun 12, 2017 3:11 pm

Sorry for the double post; just wanted to update. I haven't been around much lately because APPARENTLY your vision isn't supposed to ripple/disappear partly after you spend time on the computer and Wally has been making me "rest" my "eyes."

I'm planning to work on the UI/graphic design next, since Wally is here to help me with color-matching. I think we'll also tidy up postranks, though I'm not sure where we'll go with those; we want them to be as numerous as they currently are, but deciding on a theme has proven difficult.
Back to top Go down
X
Comrade

PostSubject: Re: I have seen the Codrex Magna admin panel   I have seen the Codrex Magna admin panel EmptyMon Oct 16, 2017 10:43 pm

Yeah, so I had all these plans for the summer and then I had to go and get the Mystery Disease. It's probably some kind of migraine disorder. Basically, it's painful to go outside during the day or look at a computer screen for an extended time. The longer I look at a screen, the worse it gets. This is unfortunate because I am a web developer.

This project is on hold until I find a treatment that works. Sorry about this, everyone. Sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I have seen the Codrex Magna admin panel   I have seen the Codrex Magna admin panel Empty

Back to top Go down

I have seen the Codrex Magna admin panel
Page 1 of 1