Codrex Magna
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Kerikor Reborn

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Veritamancer
Relict Antihero
Veritamancer

Kerikor Reborn Empty
PostSubject: Kerikor Reborn   Kerikor Reborn EmptySat Jul 25, 2015 6:54 pm

Many years ago, when each of us could be counted more naïve and enthusiastic, I created a character for the official BIONICLE RPG sponsored by the site that I frequented at that time. Never content with a Piraka, Toa, or Makuta, or truly any of the major sentient species, I decided to create a twice-mutant sentient Rahkshi, an unwilling traveler with a broken staff and damaged body. Matoran called the silvery creature Kerikor, and it kept to itself, searching for a home.

And so, years later now, here is a recreated Version I form of that old character.

Kerikor Reborn Kerikor_i

Grab

Front

Side (with arm and weapon)

Side (sans arm and weapon)

Back

Pointing the Way Forward

=|/-\|=
Back to top Go down
https://codrexmagna.forumotion.com
Cryomancer
The Cold Mage
Cryomancer

Kerikor Reborn Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kerikor Reborn   Kerikor Reborn EmptySat Jul 25, 2015 7:02 pm

I like that you kept the original Rahkshi feet, as well as incorporating a very Hordika (I had to look that one up) feel with an asymmetrical body. Notably, the very cool claw arm contrasting with the wimpy staff arm and the extra chestplate piece as an ankle guard on only one leg in addition to only having one bit of thin armor on ONE of the thigh-pieces.

Finger-lickin' good, 9/10. I only wish the spine was a little more prominent from the front, although it oughta be said a slimmed down spine sloping more vertical with the back gives Kerikor a much more humanoid outline.
Back to top Go down
The Spectral Mask
Head Librarian & Game Master
The Spectral Mask

Kerikor Reborn Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kerikor Reborn   Kerikor Reborn EmptyTue Jul 28, 2015 2:27 pm

I like the torso, which does a good job of remaining skeletal while still retaining both inner complexity and solid armor, though I agree with Arty that a more pronounced spine would have been preferable.

I know that you don't share my distaste for the standard limbs, but I still feel that, while the nuva-armored leg looks austere and, if both legs were like it, I would bring up the issue of custom legs at all, the un-armored one looks lazy to me. I would have preferred an even more skeletal, damaged look, perhaps just an axle or two with ball joints, a few silver armor pieces* or tubes.

Similarly, while the armored arm is a great example of Hero Factory give just a flourish of customization, and the tube would have dissuaded me from mentioning custom arms at all, the un-armored side looks less "damaged" and more "stick figure."

Love the weapon, would never have thought to use those silver extenders like that, and the '08 turbine gets fantastic use as a connector rather than a mere decoration. This might well be my favorite weapon of yours, though perhaps a more symmetrical staff would have conveyed his rahkshi nature with more immediacy.

But let me finish by praising what I think is the highlight of this MOC: the hand. I once watched an informative YouTube video on how to make posable BIONICLE hands, and while both of the featured models were neat, the MOCer implied that these were the only posable BIONICLE hands possible. I can tell that these are a compelling alternative; while the "grab" picture is blurry, I surmise that you plugged some exo-force robot hands into a standard technic socket and then used handlebars to attack the robot arm fingers. The black handlebars are a compelling alternative to the the light grey hoses that are more frequently used,** although your color scheme could have accommodated either just as well.***

*Nuparu's 2007 armor springs to mind, and I believe Toa Ignika had the piece in silver?

**since 2007's Hydraxon became the only BIONICLE set I know of with posable hands in the truest sense, with Ultimate Dume, Axonn, and Gadunka having disproportionately larger hands. I can't tell if Toa Mata Nui had articulating fingers, though.

***Trying asterisks instead of parenthesis, what do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
https://codrexmagna.forumotion.com/
Veritamancer
Relict Antihero
Veritamancer

Kerikor Reborn Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kerikor Reborn   Kerikor Reborn EmptySun Aug 02, 2015 9:41 pm

Thank you both for faithfully reviewing. I believe there are some reviews of my own that I ought to be making, but all in good time.

AF - thank you on the point of the Rahkshi feet, though perhaps we would have both preferred silver? I did not expect a reference to the Hordika but I can see what you mean. The spine was difficult to incorporate into a humanoid figure, yes, and I feel that making it higher and more prominent would lead to a hunchback impression - though making it more evident is something to explore in future, I agree.

Spectral - thank you as well on the torso, as well as the issue of the spine. I would tend to agree that a more damaged look would be preferable for the leg, true. However, I entirely do not agree on your choice of Nuparu's pad armor for such a limb, as I feel such armor does not mesh well with the angular grating of much of the rest of the armor already here.

The armorless arm is, I will admit, rather lazy. There is much more that could have been done in that respect especially given my distaste for Hero Factory limbs, with the only rationale being to match the length of the other arm. I am pleased you like the staff - though note it is a broken staff, with the tapered end being where the other head of his double-ended Rahkshi staff broke off. I have a symmetrical version - also see below.

The hand is the same design as used in my Recorder model (see the topic in this forum), and with a touch of hubris, I would state that this is the best BIONICLE hand design I have come up with myself. It mimicks the curvature of natural hands, unlike the standard light grey pneumatic-hose T-bars you mention, and is much more extendable for poses. You are correct on its construction - I believe the cover image on this very topic shows the handlebars?

(Your asterisks are of some utility so as not to break up paragraphs, though the single asterisk is difficult to find if simply scanning your writing. You might consider purple asterisks.)

As a final note to both of you, I will say I am looking to revamp Kerikor in better armor to address some of your concerns - though now that I am thinking about the spine and better "damaged" limbs, I would like to experiment with those as well, so you may see a third "redamaged" Kerikor down the line.

=|/-\|=
Back to top Go down
Veritamancer
Relict Antihero
Veritamancer

Kerikor Reborn Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kerikor Reborn   Kerikor Reborn EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 10:29 pm

As promised, I have remodeled the overall armor. I am sure you will both find the symmetrical Rahkshi staff more pleasing.

Pose 1

Pose 2

Front

Right Side

Left Side

Back

Rahkshi and Staff

=|/-\|=
Back to top Go down
The Spectral Mask
Head Librarian & Game Master
The Spectral Mask

Kerikor Reborn Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kerikor Reborn   Kerikor Reborn EmptyWed Jun 08, 2016 1:16 am

Here's a blast from the past!

I must say that I like this bulked up Kerikor much better than his skeletal counterpart, but I'm also a bit taken aback. This armor upgrade is bold, and I do like it, but it surprises me that you went ahead and changed the character so fundamentally.

Your fusion of CCBS and technic is flawless, and the spine stands out much more now. I absolutely adore the fusion of Hordika, Rahkshi, and whatever mutagen gave him his new outer skin. I'm not sure I understand why there's a kraata on his arm (it's not like he could use an extra one, seeing as his consciousness is inside) but it is a neat play on the Hordika's gear-arm. He's an intimidating figure, and he makes me long for a simpler time. Happy
Back to top Go down
https://codrexmagna.forumotion.com/
Sponsored content

Kerikor Reborn Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kerikor Reborn   Kerikor Reborn Empty

Back to top Go down

Kerikor Reborn
Page 1 of 1