Codrex Magna
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Revamp: Toa Mahri Kongu

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Veritamancer
Relict Antihero
Veritamancer

Revamp: Toa Mahri Kongu Empty
PostSubject: Revamp: Toa Mahri Kongu   Revamp: Toa Mahri Kongu EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 9:54 pm

I have certainly posted an unexpected amount of creations lately, haven't I?

This third is quite possibly the least original in the recent series. I focused on altering the most often criticized aspects of the set character's general appearance and aspect, which are the lack of a melee weapon and the rather short and stooped posture.

I do not, as you may see, have many photos ready at the moment. These should suffice for now though. As I take more pictures, more might be added in time. In addition, please note the caption of the side view, and remember that the wings are angle-adjustable (it was simply more convenient to photograph the model with wings posed thusly).

Front
Side
Back

=|/-\|=
Back to top Go down
https://codrexmagna.forumotion.com
The Spectral Mask
Head Librarian & Game Master
The Spectral Mask

PostSubject: Re: Revamp: Toa Mahri Kongu   Revamp: Toa Mahri Kongu EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 8:04 pm

What stands out the most to me are the arms and the weapons. I think you might have been able to throw together custom arm peices - and not only for the sake of being custom, but for the sake of bulking up the arms to compensate for the wide torso.

The weapons, meanwhile, are interesting deviations from a blade-edged sheild, but I think he might have been better off with just the one sheild, and a sword or even a Cordak Blaster in the other.

I'm not a huge fan of the wings either ...

The stature, however, has certainly improved, and the leg armor there is clever. Really, I think this model suffers mostly from not straying enough from the original, and so he looks almost unbalanced. If you had kept making modifications, I think he might have evened out and might have looked much slicker.
Back to top Go down
https://codrexmagna.forumotion.com/
Veritamancer
Relict Antihero
Veritamancer

PostSubject: Re: Revamp: Toa Mahri Kongu   Revamp: Toa Mahri Kongu EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 12:54 am

Of my recent creations, this one was built the most hastily, and I suspect it shows.

The arms are a blatant defect, and I do not intend to make excuses for them. They are what they seem, and what they seem is poor.

I disagree slightly on the matter of the weapons. I made them more with propulsion devices in mind than use-specific weapons - they are bladed engines, rather than jet-laden swords, and certainly not in any position to be used as shields (or else I would have attached them with ordinary sockets rather than the straight-ended type). Perhaps more importantly, providing just one of them for him would have created a huge asymmetry, and that is one point I did enjoy about the original set; I was never pleased with the weaponry for the likes of Nuparu, Hahli, and Jaller Mahri.

I had intended to put up a picture of him in a swimming pose with the jetblades outstretched, but evidently have not taken the photo yet.

The wings are more of a matter of personal preference, although I have no strong preference on them myself.

In closing, I suppose you may be on to something, but bear in mind that the two things I spent much time on here are the weapons and the torso. Had I had more time or put more thought into it, we both would have been happier with the result.

=|/-\|=
Back to top Go down
The Spectral Mask
Head Librarian & Game Master
The Spectral Mask

PostSubject: Re: Revamp: Toa Mahri Kongu   Revamp: Toa Mahri Kongu EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 6:45 pm

Ah! Yeah, focusing on the torso and weapons, I think I see what you're saying ...

Wasn't there a game on BIONICLEstory.com where Kongu's blasters served as propellors/motors? I suppose, as a Toa of Air, he would have been able to channel his element through them, and so that would make a lot of sense.

And if you were trying to upgrade that here, I'd say you have succeeded.

Upon a closer inspection of the weapons, by the way, I noticed you used pins and their varients to hold everything together, which, from a structural standpoint, is quite impressive. I had expected a "primary weapon" peice attatched to the hand and the rest attatched to that "primary weapon" through pins, effectively extending the "primary weapon"; but it seems you've based the entire weapon around a pin system, which I think I prefer. It makes it seem more ... wholesome, I suppose.
Back to top Go down
https://codrexmagna.forumotion.com/
Veritamancer
Relict Antihero
Veritamancer

PostSubject: Re: Revamp: Toa Mahri Kongu   Revamp: Toa Mahri Kongu EmptyThu Nov 22, 2012 3:24 am

There was indeed an online game with that format - it was Kongu Mahri's main solo game for 2007. BIOsector01 will likely have a link.

But on the subject of this revamp, I'm pleased you're impressed with the construction of the weapons. They were and are my favorite single component of any of my recently made BIONICLE creations, and I did deliberately attempt (and apparently succeed) to incorporate more Technic pins into their design - as the years of BIONICLE have gone by and the LEGO Group moved further from Technic-incorporating designs (witness the Hero Factory canister sets), I have gone the opposite route, even though the solidity of Kongu's weapons' design here is not matched by his limbs'.

=|/-\|=
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Revamp: Toa Mahri Kongu   Revamp: Toa Mahri Kongu Empty

Back to top Go down

Revamp: Toa Mahri Kongu
Page 1 of 1