Codrex Magna
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Discussion: On Rewinding

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Lignar
Mysterious Figure
Lignar

Discussion: On Rewinding Empty
PostSubject: Discussion: On Rewinding   Discussion: On Rewinding EmptyWed Jan 15, 2014 7:37 pm

Farsight is gone, its war ground into dust under the heel of time. All those familiar monolithic figures - Arrhakas, Kresann, and Proudman - are gone. The world is suspended half in a war of ideologies and half in a worrying silence.

Are you ready to strike a new path into the unknown?

(I will not be creating a character, and will focus on developing the NPCs however possible.)

Here is a glorious map requested by Arty.

Artyditional Information: [Penthisilea Chartering Course]

-|W|[BIOMANCER]|G|-
Back to top Go down
https://codrexmagna.forumotion.com
Cryomancer
The Cold Mage
Cryomancer

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: On Rewinding   Discussion: On Rewinding EmptyThu Jan 16, 2014 11:27 pm

K.S.M. - Prototype II
Spoiler:

Let me know what would be good to add, to expand upon, etc.

Last edited by Arty on Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:47 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Lignar
Mysterious Figure
Lignar

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: On Rewinding   Discussion: On Rewinding EmptySat Jan 18, 2014 2:49 am

Monroe! Everything sounds good so far. :P

Because I'm sure we'll need it at some point, here's a tech briefing on the world...

Weapons, as I mentioned, apparently haven't advanced any since the 20th century. You might as well not have one, although there're a few vintage blades and firearms floating around.

Electricity is mostly from solar sources; every city is covered in panels and artificial leaves. Hydro, geotherm, and petro sources are very atypical, but not unheard-of.

Vehicles are not common, and personal vehicles simply don't exist. Within cities, almost everything is oriented towards pedestrian use, and there are automatic walkways and subways for intracity use. Intercity travel is generally unnecessary but within the nations is easy, with public buses and paid taxiing services simple to use. International travel is practically nonexistent but the governments have arranged runs through Preservation territory on occasion - succeeding only because the Preservation doesn't have many people in their territory by definition.

Because I can't remember anything else I should add at this moment, that's all for now.

-|W|G|-
Back to top Go down
The Spectral Mask
Head Librarian & Game Master
The Spectral Mask

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: On Rewinding   Discussion: On Rewinding EmptySun Jan 19, 2014 3:42 pm

Ah, Penthisilea, Queen of the Amazons. Yes, I looked that up, quiet!

I'll keep considering my character, but I think he'll be a retired naval commodore from the Friadansk Archode. Would that region have possessed a military in their recent past?
Back to top Go down
https://codrexmagna.forumotion.com/
Cryomancer
The Cold Mage
Cryomancer

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: On Rewinding   Discussion: On Rewinding EmptySun Jan 19, 2014 3:47 pm

I'm glad you caught that reference, Speccy.
I'm sure you can figure out which company it used to be, anteOtherwise.
And I, for one, am not at all opposed to a gruff(?) old commodore.
Back to top Go down
Lignar
Mysterious Figure
Lignar

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: On Rewinding   Discussion: On Rewinding EmptySun Jan 19, 2014 8:51 pm

A naval commodore is possible given the Archode's apparent trend towards military resistance against the Preservation. The thing is, if we allow that the Archode had a military, then it has to follow that they have one, because if they actually possessed a military I don't think they'd give it up. You might say if they had it, they're never gonna give it up... Oh never mind.

Chairman Alhierrian would probably appreciate having a military, but it's implied that her immediate predecessors were more interested in "soft" resistance. So either previous chairmen reluctantly retained a standing army, or employed only a small military, ignoring the current stance of Chairman Alhierrian on the issue.

I'm going to be adding a couple more heads of state to the NPC list later today because it might be important sometime I don't know. I still haven't figured out the head of Costera Livrada though. :P

-|W|G|-
Back to top Go down
The Spectral Mask
The Spectral Mask

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: On Rewinding   Discussion: On Rewinding EmptySat Feb 01, 2014 4:23 pm

I think ViVe hasn't been fit in to the continuity yet, and perhaps giving them a presence in the Archode steps on your toes, Wally. Still, I think this character has some room to grow:

Diogenes Drake first draft:
Spoiler:

Revisions?

Edit: Removed archaism and added a reference to Penthisilea, to streamline things at this early stage.

Last edited by The Spectral Mask on Thu May 29, 2014 11:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Lignar
Mysterious Figure
Lignar

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: On Rewinding   Discussion: On Rewinding EmptySat Feb 01, 2014 9:38 pm

I wouldn't say it steps on my toes. :P In fact, it's logical to both retain a bit of ViVe, and to put it in the Archode: 1) it surely wouldn't've died out totally, 2) we need to give this a bit of continuity with Farsight's groups, and 3) if ViVe managed to escape when the tide turned on the side of the Preservation, then they would've most likely survived in the Archode and H. Metalpea, since they were originally based in Russia (nearest countries).

I do want to make sure, though, that you understand the real implications of "technologically stagnant", given your references to primitive telescopes and astrolabes and sextants. The main technologies that are missing in the post-War world are long-range weapons like missiles. There's still a fair amount of high technology like satellites, particle accelerators, and array telescopes in existence, as well as short-distance artillery and fast vehicles for the militaries that remain. The real loss was in chemical, biological, and distance weapons, as far as the military is concerned.

-|W|G|-
Back to top Go down
The Spectral Mask
The Spectral Mask

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: On Rewinding   Discussion: On Rewinding EmptySun Feb 02, 2014 2:55 pm

I had figured that the technological shortages were due to civilization losing the knowledge to replenish their supply of machinery, and that the military would have lost much of their gadgetry. Do you think that there's no room for archaists in this setting?
Back to top Go down
Lignar
Mysterious Figure
Lignar

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: On Rewinding   Discussion: On Rewinding EmptySun Feb 02, 2014 5:16 pm

I wouldn't say at all that there's no room for archaists. I'm just saying it's definitely going to be a personal choice in the matter of the character, not necessarily something sparked by a lack of technology. See, ORe technology is mostly physical, with 3D printing, casting, etc. - other than recycling and some bioplastics, though, the chemical and biological technologies we take for granted in our present day may be diminished in ORe's time (along with the diminished tracking tech I mentioned, but that's different technology).

-|W|G|-
Back to top Go down
The Spectral Mask
The Spectral Mask

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: On Rewinding   Discussion: On Rewinding EmptyMon Apr 14, 2014 12:47 am

You know, Wally, your stuff is rather brilliant - your conflicts, settings, and characters are all your own, unique and believable. I hope you're working on something you plan on publishing, and I'm happy to participate in projects like this one. Arty and I will get working on a post. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Lignar
Mysterious Figure
Lignar

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: On Rewinding   Discussion: On Rewinding EmptyMon Apr 14, 2014 2:20 am

Thank you, I am flattered. :P Unfortunately I just can't seem to write anything concerted, and I don't have anything I think I could possibly publish in any venue. If I wanted to publish a proper book, it would also be pretty difficult, so definitely you won't be seeing anything written by me in hard copy...

I'm happy you're happy to participate in my highly unreliable projects, though, and I look forward to your and Arty's posts. :P

-|W|G|-
Back to top Go down
Cryomancer
The Cold Mage
Cryomancer

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: On Rewinding   Discussion: On Rewinding EmptySun May 25, 2014 3:03 am

God, I desperately want to post but I can't think of anything! Maybe better luck this weekend...

I don't suppose spectral has any ideas...?
Back to top Go down
Lignar
Mysterious Figure
Lignar

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: On Rewinding   Discussion: On Rewinding EmptyWed May 28, 2014 12:36 am

If Monroe and Drake are going to be working together, I think Spectral will have to come up with something...

But I should probably post, too. I seem to have even been slacking off on Proculvisus and Atourist, which are easy to update compared to this.

-|W|G|-
Back to top Go down
The Spectral Mask
The Spectral Mask

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: On Rewinding   Discussion: On Rewinding EmptyFri May 30, 2014 12:39 am

Submitted for your approval.

At any rate, I hope it speeds the story along. Emphases on "rate" and "speed," but I know I've been the one holding things up as of late. :P
Back to top Go down
Lignar
Mysterious Figure
Lignar

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: On Rewinding   Discussion: On Rewinding EmptySat Dec 27, 2014 10:44 pm

On May 29, 2014, at 21:15 EDT, Walter wrote:
Looks like you're off to an excellent start! Seems like you understand the Preservation's presence, but more importantly, Drake is intriguing. I will say that if he was alive during the war, he's probably quite old by the time of ORe, but I expect that age will be a little less of a barrier for his time than it is for ours - 80 years might only be middle-aged.

Alright, the stage is set for the Cascordian Accord Lands - and it's looking to be a complicated one! It seems to collapse 3 worlds that I'd conceived of into 1. We'll see how this pans out.

In other news, how are Drake and Monroe going to get up to their business in Costera Livrada? We still don't have an administration for the country and I don't know what you had planned for there, but we should work it out.

-|W|G|-
Back to top Go down
The Spectral Mask
The Spectral Mask

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: On Rewinding   Discussion: On Rewinding EmptySat Dec 27, 2014 11:01 pm

I was not prepared for Trigonos. I was not prepared. Shocked

But I must inquire why all this bridge business, fascinating though it may be, is going on on the other side of the world from Costera Livrada, where PCs are there to interact with it. Should the guideline be, things we can touch in On Rewinding, lore and world-building in Break?

Well, I can pester Arty and get our adventuring party started.
Back to top Go down
Lignar
Mysterious Figure
Lignar

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: On Rewinding   Discussion: On Rewinding EmptySun Dec 28, 2014 12:56 am

Mostly because I have no idea what's going on in Costera Livrada. :P Premier Loderoy and his country are relatively easy to write for, even with the requirement that I pull together all the threads that make it up. I don't know exactly how you were planning to set off Monroe and Drake - in Arty's first post, there's no mention of an expedition, and in your first post, Drake doesn't exactly know the purpose or destination of it. Is this going to be government-sponsored but covert, like I mentioned before, or is it a Penthisilean venture to search for resources? Either way I'll provide an onboard NPC, but I admit it would make more sense for it to be an undercover operation, which would bring in stronger protection for the expedition and would make the administration of Costera Livrada relevant.

I'll still continue with events in the CAL, as they carry a lot more importance than you might guess - if you were shocked by Trigonos, you'll find the figures from Sakai's past (and near future!) to be electrocutionary. :P If they come through, they'll affect the entire rest of the world. But yes, let's get to Costera Livrada, shall we?

EDIT: Well, we do know the leader of Costera Livrada now - the Primerant's bio is up in the RPG topic. But you two will have to choose whether to seek their help.

-|W|G|-
Back to top Go down
Lignar
Mysterious Figure
Lignar

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: On Rewinding   Discussion: On Rewinding EmptyMon Dec 29, 2014 4:32 pm

That typo in the last line of Tkallenrai's post was unfortunate. Glare Fixed now.

Anyway, to your question about what should go in ORe versus Break, Spectral - no. I won't assign things to Break just because they don't pertain to the 2 PCs in Costera Livrada. Everything that takes place in ORe's setting will go in ORe. Sure, I'll make every effort to support the voyage of Drake and Monroe, but it's you two holding the player characters - you go first. I have a whole cast to tell the stories of, and I didn't think it was my place to make a post in Costera Livrada when clearly Drake was just going to see Monroe and discuss plans.

Moreover, the "bridge-building" is based in the Cascordian Accord Lands for the sake of a certain historical precedent.

-|W|G|-
Back to top Go down
The Spectral Mask
The Spectral Mask

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: On Rewinding   Discussion: On Rewinding EmptyTue Jan 27, 2015 9:16 pm

So, Arty and I are excited to proceed, but we have a few questions we'd like your input on:
- Should we take Tkallenrai's approval of our digital petition as a go-ahead not to worry about the Livradan government and proceed with full supplies? Or do we want to focus any more on preparing for the trip?
- Would you rather us make half a dozen NPCs to crew a ship, or just describe them as a whole in a line or two?
- Unfortunately, I'm rather terrible at vehicular and technological accuracy, and Maestro's last post did seem to throw some more fantastic elements into the mix. Should I do research on what kind of boat they'll get, or use my imagination?
- Personally, I'm eager to get to the Amazon. Would you caution me against a time-lapse to the other shore? As I have no idea what's going on in the southern hemisphere, I don't know when, if ever, the crew would start noticing weird effects.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Cryomancer
The Cold Mage
Cryomancer

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: On Rewinding   Discussion: On Rewinding EmptyTue Jan 27, 2015 9:21 pm

I share speccy's sentiments, and have several of my own thoughts to offer.

- I don't imagine our characters would be talking to Tkallenrai or even meeting with politicians
- I do enjoy worldbuilding, and visiting Costera Livrada's capital (would it be coastal or inland?) might prove insightful / useful for picking up supplies

- Again, speccy and I are a little confused as to what to do with the crew of the ship... if the ship even needs a crew? *eyebrow waggle*

- I'm generally against time-skips, especially in RPG's like this, but it might be useful for moving the plot along?
Back to top Go down
Lignar
Mysterious Figure
Lignar

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: On Rewinding   Discussion: On Rewinding EmptyWed Jan 28, 2015 3:57 am

Alrighty, I read your posts on my phone and started writing a note-form reply on there. :P Let's see if I can translate that into a real reply here...

- Some things will depend on the size of the craft; a balance has to be struck between largeness and thus added stability on the ocean, smallness to outmaneuver and hopefully evade detection by the Preservation, and respectability as a presentable diplomatic craft for reestablishing ties with the DJA.

- Drake and Monroe are unlikely to meet with Tkallenrai. The affirmation of their digital query was the Primerant's go-ahead. He/she will be sending security and diplomacy in the form of Hengist Henngist, one of their most trusted, plus likely 2 other NPCs of your choosing/making. However, like Arty, I think visiting the capital could be useful - to get supplies, understand Costera Livrada's situation, see the sights, and possibly pick up one or both of your NPCs right then. To answer Arty's question, my guess would be coastal, but a lot of the detail will be up to you guys if you will be posting before I do. We'll reveal the landscape as we go along, essentially. I can correct any mistakes you happen to make with technology, but it's more helpful if I don't dictate any more than would appear in Tkallenrai or Henngist's posts, just as you haven't set in stone any much more than has appeared in Drake and Monroe's posts.

- I don't believe in skip-aheads but we don't have to do too many posts on the ocean. The ones we do end up doing will probably be mostly to elucidate the relationship established between the folks on the boat (Monroe, Drake, Henngist, whoever the NPCs are). Think of Parts the Fifteenth and Sixteenth of the Tale, if that helps; I can't think of better examples from books or anything, but you get the point.

- As far as I can tell Mo's post did not add any fantastic elements, so I'm not sure what you're referring to. It was set in Panama City, which hasn't been dismantled for whatever reason. The only technological allusion was to Meverakt's being taken to C'PANAMA - probably just by vehicle.

- You might want to do some research on boat tech since you'll be choosing the model, but I imagine there would be a mix of old and new boats in Costera Livrada as an unofficial smuggling capital. If you didn't want to do research then it would be convenient for Drake to choose a more familiar-to-us kind of boat, i.e. an older one, as he is an old-fashioned type. If so then I can have Henngist briefly ask why Drake wouldn't choose a newer boat and make reference to newer technology, but as I'm not super up on vehicle tech either, that amount of reference would work conveniently for our purposes.

TL;DR - Tkallenrai says yes, so go ahead and either pick up supplies within the capital or head directly to Henngist and the boat. Research boat tech if you want, but Drake might be likely to pick an old boat anyway. You'll want to get the right kind of size, but I'm guessing you should need only 2-3 NPCs, of your choice/making. From that point on we'll play it by ear, but no skipping ahead across the ocean without a couple of posts to work out how our little cast and crew interact. Mo's post had no bearing on technology, other than a reference to glass walls in a skyscraper, so we're good on that count.

-|W|G|-
Back to top Go down
The Spectral Mask
The Spectral Mask

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: On Rewinding   Discussion: On Rewinding EmptyFri May 27, 2016 11:55 pm

Having read over the existing posts, I must admit that I am less than thrilled my the notion of revitalizing Codrex Magna in this particular RPG. I do, however, have some ideas about how it could be made more engaging.

As far as I can tell, BZPRPGs operated sort of like the Marvel Cinematic Universe: dozens of heroes with their own individual stories and casts of background characters occasionally having crossover events. But my character was designed to be more like a D&D or other tabletop RPG character, a member of a crew of adventurers.

And for better or for worse, the world of Arcsight exists mostly in Wally's head. The southern hemisphere has gone dark, and Arty and I want to investigate, so we have characters designed to go down and check it out.

I think that this particular adventure would run more smoothly if the three of us arranged to have hour-long sessions or so on Google Docs, editing the same document. Arty and I will state our *intentions* and Wally can tell us how his world responds. Such an approach would have prevented some of the miscommunications with regard to the timeline and technology that occurred with Drake, as well as the Preservation's style of terrorism in Proculvisus.

However, my interest in this story has waned, and while I am a willing participant I am open to the idea of starting something fresh.
Back to top Go down
Lignar
Mysterious Figure
Lignar

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: On Rewinding   Discussion: On Rewinding EmptySat May 28, 2016 3:55 pm

My first thought, of course, is to suggest we pull a Farsight and reboot this RPG too. :P

You're right though, in that we need to have proper sessions where we work things out in (somewhat) realtime. Our post-by-post or PM-by-PM work thus far has been too slow to prevent mistakes from getting firmly set, especially when stories such as Proculvisus take a long time to write the installments for in the first place.

Are any of us still interested in any part of the timeline from Farsight-Arcsight through Proculvisus into On Rewinding? There's a lot yet to explore, but if we'd rather leave the mess we've made and return to it some other time, then we should talk about where we go next. I personally think this site has always been about stories, and that that will probably be what we seek to continue with.

But again, that's what we're going to discuss, isn't it? :P

-|W|G|-
Back to top Go down
The Spectral Mask
The Spectral Mask

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: On Rewinding   Discussion: On Rewinding EmptySun May 29, 2016 10:00 pm

The Farsight/Arcsight/Proculvisus/On Rewinding setting is a world in which I participate more for the sake of writing with my friends than for its own sake. On one hand, I recognize that the core assumptions that make these near and distant futures different from the present day open up compelling storylines. On the other hand, I remain more interested in the high fantasy, soft science fiction, superhero, and macabre, Gaimanesque fairytale genres. I read Alex Rider and Artemis Fowl, but I never wanted to write books like them.

It may be wise to switch over to something at least tangentially LEGO related. Granted, I don't know if Arty even still has his collection, and this RPG seems more up his alley, but if recruiting new members is the goal, then it's worth consideration. Outlands Corrupted comes to mind, but the Venti/Cryo storyline wasn't going anywhere, being written under the assumption that Ventimancer was close enough to a storm mentioned near another settlement. Pseudomancer, however, could be developed in PMs between Wally and I.
Back to top Go down
Lignar
Mysterious Figure
Lignar

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: On Rewinding   Discussion: On Rewinding EmptyMon May 30, 2016 2:22 am

If I'm honest, I'll be willing to write nearly anything for a cause like this. But as you can probably guess, my writing interests do run a particular way. :P You've seen what I write; that is my choice of writing, whatever name you might put to it. I suppose the majority of it is what you'd call "low fantasy"; at least, I accept that label.

The one line I'm not so willing to cross is the border of superhero territory, for the little interest I take in Marvel-type drama, or even BZPRPGs.

As for our choice of what to move forward with, I don't think LEGO will lead us anywhere. As much as I like LEGO and BIONICLE, I think it's over for that avenue of ours. We started with BIONICLE, which has rebooted, but with a diminished story. For the degree to which I think BZP's attempts to turn to System-type LEGO is a pathetic grab for new fans, I won't pursue the same thing. Notice how our site subtitle about "LEGO and BIONICLE fans" is gone; even the logo from Karda Nui that adorns most of our site graphics seems a bit out of date. After all, it's been longer from the BIONICLE: Ignition story's end to now than the entirety of the BIONICLE story up to that point. I feel in my heart that no matter how much I loved BIONICLE and made it the reason-for-being of this site in the beginning, it's time to move on entirely. I don't want it to be over, but it is.

The Outlands Corrupted is fine, and not too much toward the LEGO-due-to-desperation direction, but I think I feel about it the same way you feel about ORe, Spectral - I'll do it if I have to. It wasn't all that well thought-out after all, and I never developed any attachment to the characters. Even for as short-lived as Farsight/Arcsight(/Proculvisus) has been, I have a lot more feeling for what the big names are all about - ne Yerros and his family, Arrhakas's scheming, Kresann's earnest opportunism, and so forth. I don't understand any of the characters in TOC nearly as well, even my own - and moreover, some of the "Composite" Gods I introduced there are now woven much more strongly into the fabric of the 6F as true Old Gods, perhaps overwriting the weak TOC mythos for good in my mind.

While we might be able to fix TOC, my prescription, as ever, is to start something new. This time around, though, I don't want to be the ONE TRUE ARBITER of a story, at least not to the extent that I hold it up. I think I sunk too much of my own mythology into previous sitewide RPGs in the ORe vein; they mutated into stories of my own that tripped up you guys when you began your parts in them. At least to me, it became too much when I became both a player and place-setter. So I'd like to plan anything new more fully with the both of you, if we all plan to work on it. I perpetually have more ideas than I know what to do with, so I can certainly provide us with story fodder for thought starting out! :P

Somewhat alternatively, we could reboot an amalgamated Farsight-Arcsight/Proculvisus, or even continue ORe, in addition to whatever emerges anew. I still like this story, honestly! But it has some flaws, and to make it coherent, things might need reworking for continuity.

-|W|G|-
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: On Rewinding   Discussion: On Rewinding Empty

Back to top Go down

Discussion: On Rewinding
Page 1 of 1